1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help identifying my chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nikaroo, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Nikaroo

Nikaroo New Egg

Aug 21, 2009
    BFE (near Cincy)
    My camera is broken sadly, so I don't have pictures - I'm hoping someone will recognize the description.

I have a 'unique' chicken I got free when I ordered my first group of chicks. When it was a baby, it was a silvery white with two parallel dark strips and two parallel beige stripes down it's back and it had greenish blue legs/feet.

Now that it is a pullet, it has become mostly silver/white with blue-black mottleing on it's neck, belly and wing tips, it's tail feathers are long and curved and are mostly the blue/black color, it's got a ruffeled neck and still has the blue/green legs/feet.

Does anybody have any idea as to what type of chicken it could be? Anything I've seen on line that is even close does not have the weird legs/feet. It's a beautiful bird - almost looks like a hawk - but it would be nice to know what it was!

2. Nikaroo

Nikaroo New Egg

Aug 21, 2009
    BFE (near Cincy)
    I just did some research on the website I ordered from and I'm thinking it might be a Silver Spangled Hamburg. Except the babies it shows are yellow with the stripes and have yellow feet. the adults have the weird greenish feet though. From the looks of that picture, if that is what my chicken is - it's a roo. Which would stink - we are trying not to have any roosters in the henhouse. [​IMG]

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Green legs? Look at feathersite's phoenix's, see if it matches.

4. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    do they look anything like this?

these are silver spangled hamburgs [​IMG]
    (ignore the ones in the back that obviously are not SSH.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:I think the one in the very front is a penguin, personally.

6. obe10

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Quote:I think the one in the very front is a penguin, personally.

LOL [​IMG]

7. obe10

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Quote:she said they have greenish blue feet those in your picture don't. i am not familiar with EEs do they have greenish feet?

8. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
  9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    from what i understand, an EE can be a cross of an americauna or an arcauna.. i didn't research americauanas much, but i know that arcaunas can have slate or willow legs... and sometimes even yellow.. but they say that means it's not true... ???

oh speaking of being true... does your little one have mufs and a beard?? or the tufts at the ears??

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by