Need help Identifying my Mini Horse's Colors !!

mrszlopez

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Jackson,NJ
We just added these two Mini Stud boys to our farm & im dying to know the correct terminology for their colors / markings.
We plan to stud them out a few times before gelding them. They are both 7yrs old & are supposed to be half brothers.
Johnnie also has a dark dark brown stripe starting just at the end of his mane down to his tail.
(PS - plz dont mind the mess - we just got a horrible rain storm last night
sickbyc.gif
)

The cream colored one is Hootie (Hoot N Holler)
The brown colored one is Johnnie (Here's Johnnie)

Hootie & Our Nubian Winston
1-13.jpg

2-9.jpg

3-7.jpg

Johnnie & Our Other horse Cody
4-5.jpg

So there are different color names for Minis?
hide.gif
I never knew that
hu.gif

I just saw a Palomino and a Bay Tobiano Pinto with a dorsal stripe ... guess I need to go to mini horse school
cool.png
tongue.png

Quote:
LOL do you know big horse colors??

the first cannot be palomino as its tail and mane dont look pure white... cremello would show color MUCH lighter than a palomino with a white mane and tail.

Bays should not have a dorsal stripe.

there are just as many colors in the mini world as big horses
smile.png

wow thanks ! I dont know all of the names either. just the basics lol. Hootie's coloring including his mane and tail are a mix of cream, white, caramelish.. they are supposed to have all of the papers to be sent in, but im still waiting on the previous owner to send them to me. If i cant get them, im going to have to try and register them on my own. Thanks again for the info !!

Also, what exactly does the dorsal stripe mean ? I want to list them as studs, but i want to make sure i know exactly how to word it and whatnot so that when someone starts asking, i can at least have a knowledgeable answer ! lol..
Im gonna try to get this straight .. Hootie (the first one) is a Perlino & Johnnie is a Dunskin Pinto ?

Quote:
i would list hootie as a Perlino, and yes johnnie is a Dunskin tobiano if you want to get technical.

Perlino is a double dilute, meaning foals produced by him have a very good chance of being a version of creme

Dunskin means he could produce either red dun, Dun, grulla (for duns) the skin part means he could also produce bucksins, buckskin is also a version of creme..

very nice ! if you lived closer i would want to breed to him... or possibly buy him LOL

ever thought of moving to Idaho?

Quote:
i would list hootie as a Perlino, and yes johnnie is a Dunskin tobiano if you want to get technical.

Perlino is a double dilute, meaning foals produced by him have a very good chance of being a version of creme

Dunskin means he could produce either red dun, Dun, grulla (for duns) the skin part means he could also produce bucksins, buckskin is also a version of creme..

very nice ! if you lived closer i would want to breed to him... or possibly buy him LOL

ever thought of moving to Idaho?

lol.png
Maybe i should start looking for farms out in Idaho ! Lol. If you dont mind me asking, how much would you pay for him as a stud ? I dont know the first thing about pricing and whatnot so i would rather hear an estimate from someone who knows what theyre talking about
wink.png

can you get some pics with him standing square? also maybe thin his forelock out a bit, how is his bite? get some good pics, you can pm them to me if u like, or post them here, when offering a stallion up for his services good pics are a MUST

for reference (if it helps ) here are a few pics of my 4 year old stallion...

002.jpg

cash2011008.jpg

cash2011015.jpg

he is a palomino tobiano, freshly clipped, and has a ton of show experiance. its good to know their exact height. also whether or not you have his papers when you are offering his services is a plus. my stallion, cashs fee is 375 + 3.00 a day mare care

Quote:
Don't know if it was answered, but do you see the BLACK stripe down the horses back? That's a dorsal (back) stripe.

Back
Top Bottom