Need help identifying my new rescue ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dunhamacres, Nov 2, 2016.

1. dunhamacres

dunhamacres New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Springfield, OH
    I have recently taken in three ducks. One looks like a male mallard, but the other is brown with a green head, so I don't know if the other is actually a mallard or not. Then the third one I have no clue. Maybe a mix of some kind? Help!

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Mallard drake "top", Khaki Campbell drake "center", Fawn & White Runner "bottom" not sure on its sex...looks like it may have a drake feather coming in though.

3. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Actually the Mallard is a Rouen.[​IMG]

4. dunhamacres

dunhamacres New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Springfield, OH
    What's the difference between a Mallard and a Rouen then? Is it just a domesticated version of a Mallard? Or a completely different breed?

5. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    The large size! Mallards are smaller than Khaki Campbells. Yes Rouens are their own breed, but all ducks except Muscovys come from Mallards.

Here is a picture of a Rouen and a Mallard. Not my picture.
    [​IMG]
    Rouen on the left and Mallard on the right.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  6. dunhamacres

dunhamacres New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Springfield, OH
    Thank you for the info! You have been a great help! I've never had ducks before, so taking on these rescues is a new experience for me! Right now I have them eating meat bird crumbles and scratch grains, same of which I feed my turkeys, with some veggies mixed in during the day until they are here long enough to be able to free range. Is there anything else I need to include normally in their diet that would be beneficial?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    You're welcome! I think what you are doing is fine, maybe try Purina Flock Raiser for their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by