Need Help Identifying Problem - Its a Bloodbath!

cwilstl

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Westfield
Hi. I'm new here but so far have found the forum very educational. A little background - I have 7 Barred Rock Hens. They are about 6 months old. They have been laying regularly for about two months. They have free choice to all the layer crumble they want, all the oyster shell they want and water as well. Everything was okay until this afternoon when I saw one of their nesting boxes. See pic. The only thing I have changed is the bedding. Its brand new hardwood mulch (only 3 days since I cleaned cage and put it in) and I gave them DE mixed with their food and dusted them with DE about three days ago. When I saw the bloody mess I immediatley checked all of my girls - no signs of dried blood on their vents feathers or legs. I collected 7 eggs, so they all layed today. They were all moving as normal - nobody was lethragic or on their own in a corner. What is going on? What should I look for? Thanks in advance for the advice.
24859_img_0045.jpg

Maybe one or a few layed some really big eggs? I remember seeing only a few drops of blood on one egg. She just started laying so I guess the egg was a little big for her. I don't know... this is interesting..

Well highly unlikely about the rat - in a garage that is pretty well sealed. Plus I have seen them eat mice before and its not like this. The box is up about 3 ft from the floor so unlikely they would take it up there. I haven't seen a rat near my house ever either. They have all layed large eggs in the past. They have been laying regularly for awhile so I think they should be ok. Is it the DE? Did it dislodge something inside them?

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. My first thought is somebody's hemorrhaging severely. Keep monitoring your girls. It's not good if this is happening to a young layer. If it is hemorrhage, she'll likely pass from it.

Back
Top Bottom