Need help identifying some chicks.

SDpeafowl

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
South Dakota
I have two chicks that I am wondering what kind they are. Here are some pics:

Is this a white-eyed? There is a regular IB in the background.
DSCN1135.jpg

What is this? It has white under its beak and on its wings.
DSCN1147.jpg

Thanks!

The white on the wings/throat are signs that your bird is split to something with white- usually white or pied. Depending on the parents, it could also be dark pied. Pied with a low % of white or no white (except the flights/throat).

Here's one of my dark pied when he was young, white flights and white throat as well!

4881544611_f0a5e5d260.jpg

Last edited:
We just got this little one tonight, it is about 2 months old, at what age will we know if it is a boy or girl? We would like to get a friend for it but only after we know what we have.

45425_baby_white_peachick-2_months_old_8-10-2011-crop.jpg

thanks!

I have 3 white peachicks right now I am trying to tell the sex of. Whites are the hardest to tell the sex of since they won't show it in color. Mainly a peacock will get spurs a lot sooner when a peahen might start getting very small ones at two. Another way to tell is a white peacock will get like wispy tail feathers after a while which is the train. That might take maybe around a year to show up? Anyways with whites it can be harder to determine the sex. My three white peachicks are hard to tell the sex of. The biggest one I think is a male, then the one I thought was female is starting to look big, and the one I am unsure about is starting to look small with small feet so maybe it is a female and not a male like I was thinking...It is hard to tell now so I will have to wait for them to get bigger. Of course you can't say it is a male if it displays ether because both sexes do that.

For whites, you're not going to tell until probably two years unless you want to get it blood sexed. Blood sexing is usually pretty cheap (like $20?) at least it is here. It's worth it if you want to know for just one white bird so you can get a friend early.

Quote:
All of my peas grew spurs but by 8 months i could easly tell the males from the females as they were much bigger and come to a sharp point.
GeeGee the pied hen i lost never had spurs so it must be something in their breeding, like i know my IB have alot of green blood in them after seeing their parents this year when i went back to get some more chicks.

Quote:
I don't think so, but the younger ones tend to make closer attachments I think. Like none of mine cared when I added an new adult pair to my pen, but they also didn't care when I sold the male and he disappeared. Where as Osiris cried for like two days straight when I took her brother she'd been raised with out of the pen for his surgery.

Does your vet do blood sexing for cage birds? Like parrots? It's the same thing... just, you know, different bird. If they don't you can do it through these guys: http://www.dnasexing.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom