Need help identifying what breed of chickens we have.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChicksNQuails, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ChicksNQuails

ChicksNQuails Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Got our first flock of chickens but not sure what breed they are. The man we got them from says they are a mix of different breeds. I have my guesses, but wanted to see what others thinks. Also, they should all be hens(hopefully). Let us know if there are any suspicious possible roosters in the bunch! Here they are......and thank you for looking!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

#1 possibly Easter egger (has light colored legs)
    #2 delaware
    #3 dark picture but guessing Easter Egger
    #4 dark picture but guessing Easter egger
    #5 Araucana cross (this hen appears rumpless but has a beard)
    #6 comet or sexlink
    #7 leghorn
    #8 Easter Egger
    #9 Easter egger
    #10 barred rocks

There are no roosters. Please remember these are just guesses. Lets see what other people think !

3. joshbparker

joshbparker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    I agree with this!!!!!!

4. ChicksNQuails

Sep 4, 2013
    Thanks so much for your input! Here's another picture of #1 and #4. I didn't think they were easter eggers, but who knows! Your guess is probably better than mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You will have an even better idea when the eggs start coming [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

1 person likes this.
  7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I agree with this. There are a lot of mixed girls here who look like they could have been mixed with EEs at one point, but have lost so many of the EE features, that I personally would just call them Baryard Mix. The last two are either Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks, depending on if their legs are white (Marans), or if their legs are yellow (Rock).

1 person likes this.
  8. ChicksNQuails

Sep 4, 2013
    The white and black one has a single comb. The last picture, the man we got them from were calling them sussex. They have yellowish legs and single combs I believe, so Pele is saying barred rocks? So I dunno [​IMG]

Do you think the first one might be a welsummer? And what characteristics decifers between an easter egger and ameraucana? I'll get a better shot of the blue ameraucana's head tomorrow. Did you see any possible boys? In the last picture, it's hard to see, the chicken on the left has some curling in it's tail feathers compared to the other. So I don't know what that is about.

Thanks BantamLover21 and Pele!

9. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    No Sussex is barred like that, so the last 2 birds are not Sussex. I agree with the Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock guess.

The first one is not a Welsummer either. She's far too light. She sure it pretty though.

The difference between EE's and Ameraucanas are ones a mixed breed coloured egg layer and the other one is a showable purebred with a Standard of Perfection.
    Ameraucanas only come in 8 recognised colours, all have slate coloured legs and feet, with beards and muffs and lay blue eggs.

EE's come in a range of colours, most distinguishing feature is the green legs, although not all EE's have green legs, they can lay any colour egg from blue to green, brown and pink.

10. ChicksNQuails

Sep 4, 2013
    Thanks K spot! I see what you are saying about the welsummers. I was looking at her yellow neck feathers. Wonder what she is then? Thanks for explaining the difference between EE and Ameraucanas. Only my white leghorns and red sex links are laying, so should be interesting to see what color eggs we get from these other mystery hens. Do you think both of the barred rocks/cuckoo marans are pullets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by