Need Help ID'ing these Girls

Quote:
I think so. The legs are the wrong color for A LOT of other breeds, and given Mc Murray's available stock, it seems black sexlink is the most likely. I agree she is slightly off color (too much gold, different body style than the ones I have) but the crosses used can vary, and still be called the same thing. Unless they are trying to create their own variety (Ideal does this) and haven't named it yet, I would vote black sexlink.

There's a pic on FeatherSite, under the sex-links, that looks almost exactly the same.

Quote:
I think so. The legs are the wrong color for A LOT of other breeds, and given Mc Murray's available stock, it seems black sexlink is the most likely. I agree she is slightly off color (too much gold, different body style than the ones I have) but the crosses used can vary, and still be called the same thing. Unless they are trying to create their own variety (Ideal does this) and haven't named it yet, I would vote black sexlink.

There's a pic on FeatherSite, under the sex-links, that looks almost exactly the same.

Here is the the sex-link page link:
http://featherside.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html
The pic is just past half-way down on the page. I agree that it looks almost exactly like the one in your pic,

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

You're right. A dead ringer. Who would have thought they could be so varied!

I have a black sex-link and she's got less red than yours. They're mutts, not really a specific breed so there's not going to be a lot of consistancy.

I have to wonder at why they put a dark cornish in with a layer assortment, their eggs are rough shelled and they're not very regular layers. I guess, technically, they do lay eggs...
roll.png
I have six of them, purely by accident because I pulled them out of the straight run bin.

Quote:
Since BSL's are hybrids, they have a wider range of appearance than true 'breeds'. I have some with lots of gold/red all the way down the breast; others are completely black except for a glossy green tint; and other have completely mossy/block legs like that one. I even have one which has a hint of penciling in it.

By the way, BSL's are my favorite production bird. Anyone can make them at home. They are extremely active and hardy. They call them "black rocks" in England for a reason. They're solid little creatures.

Back
Top Bottom