Need help incorporating new chickens to existing flock!!

aschumac

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2019
Western NC
Hello. I have has 6 chickens for about a year and a half (brown issas and silver laced wyandottes). Recently, I tried to incorporate 4 full grown chickens (golden comets that I raised separately) into the existing flock. I had them visible but separate in the coop for one week and was planning on incorporating them with the existing flock that day. That morning, two chickens died and the other two were sick (we are pretty sure from coccidiosis). I gave the two that were still alive corid and they have seemingly fully recovered. Now i am trying to incorporate them with the other 6 chickens. They avoid the other 6 at all costs and there have been a few bad pecks from the 6 to the two new ones - both new girls have bled. Should i separate them again and try to reincorporate? They have been living unseparated for about a week but do not seem to be establishing a pecking order/getting oriented and simply seem to be isolating the other two (the new girls sleep outside in the run rather than inside in the coop if i dont go out and put them inside the coop). Does anyone have any advice on how to get the 6 to accept the two newbies? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello. I have has 6 chickens for about a year and a half (brown issas and silver laced wyandottes). Recently, I tried to incorporate 4 full grown chickens (golden comets that I raised separately) into the existing flock. I had them visible but separate in the coop for one week and was planning on incorporating them with the existing flock that day. That morning, two chickens died and the other two were sick (we are pretty sure from coccidiosis). I gave the two that were still alive corid and they have seemingly fully recovered. Now i am trying to incorporate them with the other 6 chickens. They avoid the other 6 at all costs and there have been a few bad pecks from the 6 to the two new ones - both new girls have bled. Should i separate them again and try to reincorporate? They have been living unseparated for about a week but do not seem to be establishing a pecking order/getting oriented and simply seem to be isolating the other two (the new girls sleep outside in the run rather than inside in the coop if i dont go out and put them inside the coop). Does anyone have any advice on how to get the 6 to accept the two newbies? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
They need more time than a week.
When you treated the new comers for coccidiosis, did you also treat the original flock? Each flock will be exposed to the coccidia strains present in the other flock.
This is how I did my integration:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/well-dang-that-was-easy.1281000/

Yes they both have been getting corid in their waters since I figured out the new girls were sick! And so you're saying to just let them be free to mingle for a while longer and they will incorporate on their own at some point? I'm just worried they are being rejected from the flock because of being sick? This is my first time integrating so I'm not exactly sure how the process goes (aside from reading other people's posts)!

Yes they both have been getting corid in their waters since I figured out the new girls were sick! And so you're saying to just let them be free to mingle for a while longer and they will incorporate on their own at some point? I'm just worried they are being rejected from the flock because of being sick? This is my first time integrating so I'm not exactly sure how the process goes (aside from reading other people's posts)!
Not necessarily will they integrate themselves but let them co-mingle in the largest area possible with lots of places to hide and get away from the original flock. And give it at least 3 weeks. They may surprise you like mine did.

but do not seem to be establishing a pecking order/getting oriented and simply seem to be isolating the other two (the new girls sleep outside in the run rather than inside in the coop
That is the pecking order.
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help us help you.

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-4_7-16-4.png

It might be your space. What are the measurements of your set up? Coop and run. Sometimes you just have reached the max and your flock is telling you.

What does your run look like? Is it a bare open rectangle? Many runs are, and these do not allow chickens to disappear from the vision of other chickens. New chickens need to be able to do this, get out of sight. When two chickens meet, one chicken gives way to the other chicken, (pecking order) however, if they cannot get out of sight, sometimes the higher bird takes offense at that. And gives more and more vigorous thumps to prove her point.

So if so, clutter up your run, add a ladder, roosts, boxes, pallets, platforms, mini walls. It will give your birds more space, if they can use the third space, the vertical dimension. And add multiple feeders/water stations.

When I add new birds, I often "rearrange the furniture" in my run. Seems to help distract them.

Mrs K

Hi everyone!

I took your advice and added more water/feeders and places for the new birds to hide/get up and away from the other chickens. I was letting them free range as much as possible to allow for maximum co-mingling space.

Since I posted, we had an run in with a coyote and he got 3 of my hens (I was able to scare him off so he did not get any more).

Now, there are only 3 of the original hens and the two "new" hens. I know that, due to the coyote attack (which was about 1 week ago- and a little over 2 weeks into the integration), the pecking order probably is getting reestablished all over again. The two new girls still get picked on if they interact with the other three. Will this change? Do the original 3 notice that their other original compadres are gone? It has been a little over 3 weeks since they were able to co-mingle. Does the reorganization of pecking order start all over again? Should I be waiting 3 weeks from the coyote incident now? I feel bad for the two new hens but I am not sure what I could be doing differently. Their breed (golden comet) is definitely smaller than the original hens breeds (Isa Brown and Wyandotte).. will they ever get along? I am feeling really discouraged.

My coop is 10 x 5 and my run is 10 x 14. I have not been able to let them out to free range much because there have been many other daytime coyote sightings and I am extra paranoid now. Before the attack, I was letting them out whenever I was home (usually at least half of the sunlight hours).

Should I separate them (but still visible) again for a week or two to let things settle down and then reintegrate them? The last month of chicken motherhood has been rather stressful and I am at such a loss.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!!

I will also say, we are working on building a tractor/tunnel so they can get outside of the coop more and I won't be so paranoid.

No do not separate them again. The new girls will be a sub flock until they begin to lay eggs, and then they will be one flock. As long as they can get out of sight of the old girls, let it work itself out. As long as there is no blood being drawn. It will settle down, but separating birds just makes it worse.

If they are drawing blood, try pulling the two meanest ones, and leave one old girl with the newbies, let that work out for a couple of weeks, then add one of the mean ones, then later the other one.

Mrs.K

Hey! I usually just put them together and let them get the pecking order over with. It's sad to watch the newbies get pecked on, but after a few days everything should be fine. If they are getting injured, i would separate them. My newest chickens usually turn into the ruler of the roost! My chickens are free-range, so the new ones usually keep their distance, then integrate after feeling comfortable. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom