Need help!! Lethargic hen , I don’t know what’s wrong.

Pics

SilkieSisters

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
I have a hen who yesterday I noticed was being very much not like herself. She is a major explorer and loves drinking water and she’s always full on food. She is very lethargic and wouldn’t leave the roosting bar today. She wouldn’t eat or drink. I have her an epsom salt warm bath in case she was egg bound but I don’t know if anything happened. She was able to start pooping again after that. The first one was green watery diharea and the second was a more solid (still liquidy) green poop. Her abdomen isn’t huge but is warm and red. I put my finger in her vent with lubricated glove to check for anything hard or an egg but didn’t feel anything (I’m unexperienced with this) but there was a bit of yellow liquid that came out. When I offered her water with electrolytes she drank it and was interested in the food I offered but she wouldn’t eat it

Also... I hear a rattling , gurgling, or gas like noise in side of her. I don’t know what that is.

A vet is not an option because there are none anywhere remotely near me

I love her so much and I’ll do anything to help her.

@Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• B6080A0C-C9F9-4BAE-A336-BB592CA5395C.jpeg
    B6080A0C-C9F9-4BAE-A336-BB592CA5395C.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 24
  • A9A4F2BA-47AD-4D39-BC6F-D4E6FDFCD689.jpeg
    A9A4F2BA-47AD-4D39-BC6F-D4E6FDFCD689.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 22
I'm sorry about your hen :hugs

How old is she?
Was her crop empty this morning?
Do you know when she last laid an egg?

A rattling gurgling noise sounds like a crop issue, but often that can be a symptom of something else going on. I would make the water available for her, but wouldn't push food right now - you need to see if the crop will empty first. (usually overnight)

The yellow is worrisome, does she have a discharge from the vent?

I'm sorry about your hen :hugs

How old is she?
Was her crop empty this morning?
Do you know when she last laid an egg?

A rattling gurgling noise sounds like a crop issue, but often that can be a symptom of something else going on. I would make the water available for her, but wouldn't push food right now - you need to see if the crop will empty first. (usually overnight)

The yellow is worrisome, does she have a discharge from the vent?
She’ll be a year old in early November. Her crop was empty this morning - it wasn’t squishy though. It almost felt nonexistent. She definitely laid an egg a few days ago but I don’t think yesterday or two days ago. Her vent has been very clean and it’s not dirty at all. It’s probably the most healthy part

Has she been wormed in last several months?
What does her normal feed diet consist of?
I have a Rhode Island Red hen that has a very delicate digestive system. If she eats any seeds such as sunflower she gets the symptoms you are describing. The only thing that helps her is a tablespoon of olive oil given straight into her mouth. It may take a few times over a weeks period to get her digestive tract in order when this happens.

eeef83_ffb360c69e294b069d7f4a5bf4903051_mv2 - Edited.png
Has she been wormed in last several months?
What does her normal feed diet consist of?
I have a Rhode Island Red hen that has a very delicate digestive system. If she eats any seeds such as sunflower she gets the symptoms you are describing. The only thing that helps her is a tablespoon of olive oil given straight into her mouth. It may take a few times over a weeks period to get her digestive tract in order when this happens.
She eats organic feed grains that i get from a farm . . . i attached a screenshot of the nutrition label. It's not pellets. As for worming. . . im not completely sure how to do that. The first week of every month I put 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 gallon of water each day but thats all i do. She's never gotten sick like this before and i always see her eating everything on the ground like dirt etc . . . i dont know if she knows not to do that
eeef83_ffb360c69e294b069d7f4a5bf4903051_mv2 - Edited.png

It sounds like she is not eating, her crop is empty, and she is passing yellow to green runny droppings. Hard to know what is going on exactly. It could be a reproductive disorder, possible coccidiosis, or any number of things. Have her eggshells been normal and hard? Some chickens may have a shell-less egg stuck or break inside, which can make them feel uncomfortable for a day or two. I would give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench is you have some. Other electrolytes will work as well. Try to offer some water up to her beak often. I would make a soft scrambled egg, and see if she would take some. Mushy chicken feed made wet with water would also be good to offer. Post some pictures of her droppings if you can.

Back
Top Bottom