Need help: Local law in Levittown, NY

helenchick88

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Hi, I am new to the site and to chicken raising. I reside in Levittown, Long Island, NY (11756). Before I get my chicks, I'd like to know the town law on poultry. I searched the web, but couldn't find any info. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Don't ask, don't tell...
If you are only getting a handful of chickens and no roosters, and keep it clean I doubt anyone will be bothered. If there are no ordinances/laws against it, then it should be legal.

Levittown is a hamlet and Census-designated place (CDP) in the Town of Hempstead located on Long Island in Nassau County, New York. Levittown is mid way between the villages of Hempstead and Farmingdale. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 53,067.

This means your laws will be under the Town of Hempstead. You'll have to find their municipal code.

welcome helenchick88, we are in huntington, ny and are allowed to keep 8 hens, no roosters. i just saw a copy of the limitations and there are many. here we need 25 feet on all sides of their coop to neighboring properties, amongst many others. our coop was built sometime in the 20's and is right on the neighboring property line, so i guess we are not legal. but as long as the neighbors don't complain or mind, who cares.

This is per your zoning code:

B.In any use district, no premises may be used or occupied and no structure erected or maintained for the harboring of pigeons, poultry, fowl, ducks, geese, swine, goats, sheep, lambs, horses, ponies, donkeys, snakes, cattle, monkeys, rabbits, chinchillas, minks, skunks, foxes or bees, except when permitted as a special exception by the Board of Appeals pursuant to Article XXVII hereof. [Effective 8-13-1973]

So it looks like you'll have to ask for a variance to keep chickens.

Hi all I am new here . I am in Wantagh 11793 . I would like to know if chickens are legal in TOH ? Seems someone provided codes . If anyone wants help or wants to help let's make them legal . I have info on government in other countries giving hens to every household and the land fill was reduced. Thanks for the help Jake

I heard on a video when I first got my chickens that somewhere in New York you can have unlimited chickens as long as they each have a square meter and are about 30 feet away from your neighbors and 20 feet away from you. I don't know if it is true but it is what I heard.

Back
Top Bottom