Need help making homemade chicken feed - rye, oats, and barley

onelitwonder

Hatching
Jun 29, 2020
Hi! This is my first post.

My boyfriend came into a large amount of rye, oats, and barley through his work. We'd like to make our own chicken feed for our adult laying chickens based on this. We also plan to free-feed oyster shells.

Can anyone help with ratios, and what we'd need to supplement in order to get proper nutrition?

Further up the posts in this forum a member said not too much oats and barley. I made the mistake of not grinding my mixes. sev years ago when I attempted mixing my own feed. Some would pick out certain seeds and leave say the "flax seed" so if I ever do it again I will grind it some.. prev I use quinoa, split peas, flax, sesame, amaranth,buckwheat. sunflower seeds. chia sometimes too. I was getting human grade stuff cheap from local salvage stores.
Now such is hard to come by. since our food supply is dwindling and salvage store food type stuff is being replaced by junk like cosmetic, household supplies., etc
Just a commenting. thanks all

We came up with this i make my own someone said I didn't have enough of protein I think so this is what we came up with my flock loves it

Attachments

• Resized_Notes_200702_190514_1a5_1_111875779810550.jpeg
    Resized_Notes_200702_190514_1a5_1_111875779810550.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 36
Do you have a list of what percentage protein each of those ingredients contains? That is what you have to know to figure it up.

Are the seeds whole? If so, you could sprout them as a supplement and, in that manner, at least partially replace some of their regular feed. Every time I've looked into making my own feed mix, I realize it's a lot more ingredients than is economical or practical for me to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom