Need Help my hen was egg bound now she is swollen

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
Hello All My favorite Brahma was egg bound, I put a glove on and felt the egg, she kept making noises, going back and forth to the coop, breathing heavy. I added Vaseline, gave her some coconut oil it finally came out. now she is swollen back their and keep trying to look in her back. I tried to wash her back their. Even added some preparation H to help the swelling. It is dark I kept on checking on her. she was not resting. I feel so bad. . Any thing else I could do to help her. I even gave her some baby food with calcium in it. She did not eat a lot. Please help. Thank you

Can you post a photo? Is anything coming OUT of her vent? I am wondering if she is prolapsed. If so, she would benefit from a warm bath with epsom salts and you would need to keep the prolapse moist after the bath so the tissue doesn't die. But we really can't tell without seeing a photo. If you can't post a photo, can you describe it?

First thank you for your help. It feels like a small part of her on her bottom near the area where the eggs come out is swollen. I cannot post a picture to night is to dark.she keeps looking back their. Almost like a large hemorrhoid.

Ah! Good description. A large hemorrhoid is a prolapse. Lots of people have experience here with that. Eventually you will need to gently push it back in, but it may be too swollen right now. I believe she needs a warm epsom salt bath and keep up the preparation H, which should help with the swelling.

You should probably limit her light exposure to keep her from producing more eggs right now, which could make the issue worse.

If you search the forums, you will find lots of advice on prolapse. Good luck and please keep us posted. I think the most important thing is too keep the tissue from dying (necrosis), so you will need to keep it moist. I hope you find the information you need or someone else chimes in here.

Thank you so much, aI live in Fl, I do not know how to limit the light. All my 3 chickens have not been laying for a long time. She has been every 2 days ,now every day. Thank you again I will search the information.

That makes sense. I can put her in a cage and cover the cage. She is one of the tamest chickens she even sits on my lap. How many hours and days do I have to limit her light, I know u til she is better, but they're your experience how long does that normally take?

I apologize I type one thing and another thing comes up. That was supposed to have said through your experience. And thank you again

I did read about the calcium, I tried those Oster shells before, they never touched them. I will try something else. Thank you again for all your help . It really eased my mind.

Back
Top Bottom