NEED HELP NOW GROWTH IN HEN'S MOUTH?

Hi Dawg,

What did you think of those pics. The first one on top was from today, the second down from 3 days ago and the third from today. She has been on 250mg Metronidazole a day for 5 days for possible canker but it doesn't seem that it helped. She's not weezing or anything like that.

Hi Dawg,

What did you think of those pics. The first one on top was from today, the second down from 3 days ago and the third from today. She has been on 250mg Metronidazole a day for 5 days for possible canker but it doesn't seem that it helped. She's not weezing or anything like that.

Dont forget to smell her breath in the morning, if it stinks bad...you'll know it's canker.

Hi,
I'll check on the breath. Would wet pox smell too? If it is canker, I've already given her 5 doses of metronidazole as of today. Then what would I do or could I do?

Kay

Hi Casportpony,
Thank you for that link. I did look at it. Yesterday Dawg said to smell the hen's breath this morning which I did. There was no foul odor so I guess it isn't canker. Dawg said that if it didn't smell bad then it might be wet pox. Yesterday you mentioned that it might be a bacterial infection. Like I had posted yesterday, I had her on 5 days of metronidazole which I'm assuming doesn't help a bacterial infection much, seeing that this probably isn't canker. Would a bacterial infection look like what is in my pictures, or is that what wet pox looks like?
kay

Hi Kathy,
No I haven't, there is a little puss toward the back but in the front there is about a 3/8 " piece that is reddish/pink and looks raw to me if you can take a peak at the pics with my thread, you can see what I mean. I tube-fed her today. she is eating a little. I'm still debating whether to call a bird vet but only if they could test her right then. I have some baytril 22.7 mg tablets that are an antibiotic, not sure if I should try that.
That growth in her mouth looks the same today. I'm trying to get up the guts to tweeze it out, what if it doesn't come out, but just shreds so-to-speak?

Does a bacterial infection look like that?

Thank you, Kay

This is the one that had a bacterial infection:
LL

Above picture from:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741563/mouth-wound-on-cockerel-updated-with-necropsy-results

Oh gosh! Kathy!!!!! Did this chicken have wet pox, is that where the puss came from? How did you do it? Did someone help hold the chicken? I guess you must have tweezed it and or used gauze etc.? I just need hope that my hen can make it.

Kay

Back
Top Bottom