Need Help On Build A Roost !!!!

woolychicken

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
mesick michigan
IF ANY ONE COULD GIVE ME SOME IDEALS ON HOW YO BUILD A NICE ROOST FOR MY CHICKENS .
I HAVE 18 AT PRESENT AND PLAN ON GETTING 40 MORE BY FALL BUT MY PROBLEM IS THAT I NEED ROOST THAT WILL ACCOMADATE MY BIRDS, HOW HIGH DO I PUT THEM AND WHAT DO I USE TO MAKE THEM . AT PRESENT I HAVE A PLATFORM ROOST BUT WAS TOLD THIS CAN CAUSE BUMBLE FOOT
ep.gif
AND I DO NOT WANT THAT SO PLEASE !!! GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS
idunno.gif
ALSO HOW FAR APART DO I SET THEM ECT.
OH BROTHER THING I DID NOT KNOW!!
lol.png

love.gif
SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE

tell us about the pen that you are going to put the roost in?

are your chickens all heavy breeds?

My coop is 8x12. I just cut some small trees, about the thickness of a baseball bat. I cut 8 fotters and put one 2 feet up and the other 3 feet up in the coop. The first one is closer to the front of the coop. The back on is the high roost. It has worked well for me, and cheap too
wink.png

Wow, your jumping in big! Chickens are addicting:) I use 2x4 with the 4"side flat. This gives the chickens a place to tuck their feet under their bodies for warmth. Round the sharp corners off with sandpaper before installing to prevent injuries. Plan on 10-12 inches per bird when figuring out how long to make the roosts. Depending on the size of your coop, you'll need to make 2, 3 or more roosts. I believe the norm is to have the roosts 12" apart, and 12 inches vertically apart too. I had 15 chickens in my 8x8 ft coop, so I used two 8' long roosts. A droppings board is great under it to help keep the clean up soooo much easier. Hope this helps!

31803_150.jpg

I have mine with branches, all over the top part of the coop....and where they roost, I have the front of my coop top part open, so they can see the whole yard
36033_roost.jpg

36033_roosting.jpg

I have a total of 25 in my flock....heavy girls also

36033_dsc_0398.jpg

Back
Top Bottom