Need help on chain linked square (30x20?) for run/coop

konachicks

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Oceanview Hawaii (Big Island)
Aloha!
Since I live in Hawaii where it is always warm (up the mountain where occasionally it goes down to 55 degrees at the lowest) I was told we don't actually need a full coop. So I decided since our property has an enclosed chain link "square" I believe it's 30x20 but will have to clear the brush to get exact measurements . But it's huge and just sitting there and would be perfect for my soon to be coming chickens. I thought I could cover it with hardware cloth, put in perches and nesting boxes.
What should I do with the top? It's walls are about 6ft tall. Tarp? Netting?
Anyone have similar runs I could see for ideas?

I have a chain link run and have it covered with bird netting. It keeps my flock in when I need it to and birds of prey out but I'm planning on adding another section that will be covered. I'm in Maine so a simple tarp wouldn't last more than a single winter so I'll use clear corragated roofing for the covered section of run. I'm not sure what types of predators you may have around so you may want to consider a simple coop for sleeping and laying as a lot of predators will strike at night. It will also provide your flock with a shelter from storms.

Last edited:
Mongoose and small hawks are our only predators. I'd heard the mongoose only go after chicks though. I thought about making nesting boxes and a covered perches. Would that be enough instead of an actual coop?

Mongoose will steal eggs and I wouldn't count on them leaving your birds alone. Adult chicken may not be a regular part of their diet but if they have access to birds who are sleeping, they may very well take the opportunity to enjoy an easy meal. If it were my flock, I would still provide them with a small simple coop to keep them as safe as possible especially when at night and wouldn't stand a chance against any predator.

Back
Top Bottom