Need help on home built incubator....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bribaby, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Bribaby

Bribaby In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    So Cal
    Hi all, I'm new here and am having a really hard time finding a thermostat for my incubator... I made it out of a wine cooler, and had a water heater thermostat in it. The problem is that when the room temperature went down/up so did the inside temp... I've tried calling petsmart/petco and any reptile stores around, and no one carries them? Wondering what kind of thermostat I can use to help keep the temperature stable? I appriciate any help, thanks!

2. dwdoc

dwdoc Songster

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Quote:The favorite on here seems to be the Wafer T-Stat. I ordered a different one from seller Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Incubator-Therm...800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aadf8830) and it has worked great for me. I have been told by other folks on here that I paid too much for it ($16.00 & Free shipping) - perhaps I really don't know. Regardless, it was easy to install and once set the temp has been dead on.

Good luck.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Do you have pictures of what you have? Does it have a fan? How is the thermostat sitting?

4. quintinp

quintinp Songster

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i would love to see some pics

5. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    When the temp in your house rises so will your incubator. When you warm your house up it will warm your incubator up by the same amount of degrees as your house was warmed.

6. Bribaby

Bribaby In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    So Cal
    Hum, I just took some pictures of it, but not sure how to post pics... I'm in a hurry since eggs will be here TOMORROW!! and I can't get the temp right... hubby just ran to the store to get a new thermostat since he thought he'd open the one we have and see if he could tweak it... he ended up "breaking" it instead... I had it pretty close, so hopefully it'll have to work. I can't order anything online for this batch since it won't get here in time, so I'll have to keep a really close eye on it I guess...

7. Bribaby

Bribaby In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    So Cal
    [​IMG]

hope this works... sorry it's dark, forgot the flash!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  8. rebelcowboysnb

From the issue you are having an the size of the incubator I think you need more fans to keep the air moving around better.

9. Bribaby

Bribaby In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    So Cal
    I have 2 computer fans pointing up, should I add another? What size bulb should I be using? I have a 95 watt one on...

10. rebelcowboysnb

A 95 should work. Put a can in the incubator full of burning wet grass an see how good the smoke moves around.
    Practice that outside first, can will get hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: