Need help on what to do next? IS she dying?

luvmigrls

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Washinton State
I am posting this here as Connie has gone from bad to worse. After having read through numerous post & links, I feel Connie & I may be losing the battle. About 5 days ago we noticed her in activity and found she had a squishy crop. I followed the advice of ACV in water, yogurt, olive oil, and fish oil, and withholding food. We puked her 2 times a day and the crop went down significantly. At first it was light colored with undigested grains/grass. The next day it got like dark brewed coffee color. On day three she was trying to get out and had energy, much to my dismay we let her out for the day. Next morning I find her just standing with her eyes closed and not moving around. Acting very sleepy. I read some more and switched out the ACV for baking soda water and started giving her the Monistat 3 broken in 3rd servings. The crop does not feel completely empty but she didn't won't to puke up anymore so I didn't push it. Rather I massage it. I was going to try the crop bound capsules that rids it in 24 hrs but can't find any here. I am very concerned as to how much I should be handling her, as she is very week now. So I opted to let her try some tuna fish with scrambled egg. She has only eaten maybe 2 tbs of food in last 2 days plus about the 2 tsp of the yogurt when we give her the pills. Is there something else should be doing or giving her. Since she has eaten some she is pooping but it's yellowish liquid with some green. Please, anyone?

idunno.gif

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about sour crop since much of the info is contradictory, but I think it's best to stay with just very soft foods like soft egg, yogurt, applesauce, and feed mixed into a paste with water. Many say ACV does not help, and can make it worse. Sometimes it can be a bacterial infection or a fungal infection. I would really push the water, and massage the heck out of her crop. Here is a link for you:
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Last edited:
Thanks Eggcessive, I have looked at the threads and looked again. Will continue to try and get her to eat on her own and force the other more. I was afraid of stressing her too much. She is so weak.

The only other thing you could try(along with what you are already doing) is a crop bra,often if the crop does not empty over a period of time it tends to sag(pendulous crop)with the contents sitting in the bottom of crop, this might help with emptying crop.

Have you considered tube feeding,doing this will keep bird hydrated and provide the necessary food intake.

Last edited:
tenchicks, I saw the bra thing and the 3 kinds of crop issues while researching. So, it was sour crop (water balloonnish) and can turn Pendulous? If so that might be it, as I still feel something but not liquids nor solid. I will look for the sock bra. Can you say if her lethargy and closed eyes are symptoms of that type of crop condition or am I dealing with something worse? I really am anxious thinking about tube feeding, and I think she is too weak. I don't want to give her a heart attack. If I continue to use a dropper, how much would I need to get down her per day? Thanks for all of you:)

Well my friends, my little Connie lost the battle Saturday night. I knew she was so very weak. I hope she didn't suffer. I am not sure what that would look like. She was very still yet I knew, she knew, that I was there. It is never easy loosing one of them. Wanted to say "Thank You" to all who gave help my way. Blessings to you and yours

highfive.gif
~Cindy

Back
Top Bottom