Need help on where to buy a good chicken coop !!!!

A shed (new or used) would be your best general option, but it'll need to be converted to work as a coop.

Most prefabs have to be reinforced/altered to make them work, even for shorter term use. You can get one as a stop gap, and keep it around for later use as a isolation cage or chick brooder, if that works better into your plans.

As a general rule, the minimum space you need for 7 birds would be:
- 28 sq ft floor space in coop (4 per bird, not including nest boxes)
- 7 ft roost
- 7 sq ft ventilation (nearly impossible in a prefab, there's not enough wall space)
- 70 sq ft run (10 per bird)
Thanks so much for your advice and helpful
information 😊

Box store coops are a waste of money.

However, Craigslist or FB market place may have a suitable alternative. Buying will be costly regardless
Yeah, i see ppl giving away on marketplace but unfortunately i have no truck to bring it home. I may buy a shed and see if it works out . Thank you for your advice ! 😊

We are new to keeping chickens and it was apparent fairly quickly that there are not many people speaking highly of the prefab coops...

Except of course the wood construction prefab coops like Carolina coops. I love watching their videos on you tube. but they are gonna cost some $$$$$$$$$$.

We built our own coop and it was pretty time consuming. I do have some carpentary skills but since I do not use them very often so it took many weekends to do what some could have probaly done in 1.

Good luck on which ever route you go !!!!!!!!

Word of caution, chickens are a lot of work. If you're on bed rest and your husband is handling the kids, it may be advisable to hold off for now.

If you are dead set on adding chickens, and will not build your own coop, you have three options: 1) Buy and have a reputable turn-key coop shipped to you; 2) Buy a well-built secondhand coop locally and transport it back to your place; or 3) Buy and have a shed delivered for conversion to a coop.

Option #1 is turn key, but expensive. Reputable coops are hard to find, they're not cheap, and the freight charges are a significant add-on expense. Option #2 is a compromise. You said you don't have a truck, but you could easily rent one from UHaul. You may need extra hands and it will probably be a big job, but you will be ready to go once its back home and cleaned out. Option #3 is a fall back. Sheds are a great start, but they are not chicken coops. You will need to do some fairly significant modification to make it habitable (e.g. ventilation, chicken door, roosting bars, nesting boxes, etc.).

Ultimately, it is a lot work to set up for chickens, a lot of work to keep them safe, and a lot of work to ensure they are fed, watered, and kept healthy. Make sure you are ready for all that work before you take the plunge.

"Where the heck are you" is a good question, and yes, pre-fab is expensive problems you will need to correct later. Understand you have other constraints right now.

If you are in a relatively forgiving climate (most of the Southern and part of Central US), you may get mileage with a chain link dog kennel run, reinforced with hardware cloth as predator protection, and a tarp (initially) to provide roof and windbreak on at least two sides (parts of three is better).

Or, build a hoop coop (have the panels delivered to you).

Word of caution, chickens are a lot of work. If you're on bed rest and your husband is handling the kids, it may be advisable to hold off for now.

If you are dead set on adding chickens, and will not build your own coop, you have three options: 1) Buy and have a reputable turn-key coop shipped to you; 2) Buy a well-built secondhand coop locally and transport it back to your place; or 3) Buy and have a shed delivered for conversion to a coop.

Option #1 is turn key, but expensive. Reputable coops are hard to find, they're not cheap, and the freight charges are a significant add-on expense. Option #2 is a compromise. You said you don't have a truck, but you could easily rent one from UHaul. You may need extra hands and it will probably be a big job, but you will be ready to go once its back home and cleaned out. Option #3 is a fall back. Sheds are a great start, but they are not chicken coops. You will need to do some fairly significant modification to make it habitable (e.g. ventilation, chicken door, roosting bars, nesting boxes, etc.).

Ultimately, it is a lot work to set up for chickens, a lot of work to keep them safe, and a lot of work to ensure they are fed, watered, and kept healthy. Make sure you are ready for all that work before you take the plunge.
Thanks a lot for your advice . We finally decide to get the coop from overez. I know it’s a lot of work but he said he buy chickens for the kid to have fun and raise together. He likes raising chicken so i let him to enjoy doing his things . And we can only have 3-5 chicken in where i live so hopefully he can take care them. So far he doing pretty good when raising them in the house . Thanks a lot for your advices.
We are new to keeping chickens and it was apparent fairly quickly that there are not many people speaking highly of the prefab coops...

Except of course the wood construction prefab coops like Carolina coops. I love watching their videos on you tube. but they are gonna cost some $$$$$$$$$$.

We built our own coop and it was pretty time consuming. I do have some carpentary skills but since I do not use them very often so it took many weekends to do what some could have probaly done in 1.

"Where the heck are you" is a good question, and yes, pre-fab is expensive problems you will need to correct later. Understand you have other constraints right now.

If you are in a relatively forgiving climate (most of the Southern and part of Central US), you may get mileage with a chain link dog kennel run, reinforced with hardware cloth as predator protection, and a tarp (initially) to provide roof and windbreak on at least two sides (parts of three is better).

Or, build a hoop coop (have the panels delivered to you).
I live in quincy, ma . I finally decided to get a coop from overez. Thank you!

Hello everyone,
I am new to this group and also newbie on raising chickens. I been looking all over internet to find a good chicken coop but i always see negative feedback. I just wonder if anyone can recommend me a website or a store that selling a good chicken coop that last long. I am now raising 7 baby chicken and about to move them to backyard when they get bigger so i need a coop and run. Much appreciated😇
Good coops are built, not bought.

Back
Top Bottom