Need help sexing 6 week old chicks! (An assortment of breeds, also warning pic heavy)

Rooster_Tyranny

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Utah
I know they're a bit young, but the suspense is honestly killing me. I have 6 chickens - 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Buckeyes, a White Crested Black Polish and a Buff Laced Polish. They're still inside because of the cold and I'm traveling soon. I ordered them from MyPetChicken and they're all supposed to be pullets. Sorry for the low quality pictures they never stay still! I can try to provide better ones if needed.

This is Mystique, my WCB. I'm pretty sure this one's a hen.
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

Next up is my BL, the tail on him/her is making me suspicious but no signs of wattles as far as I can tell.

IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

Next is my Silver Laced Wyandotte #1 The red on this one's comb is worrying me. He/She is the biggest of my six.
IMG_3159.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG

Next is Baba Yaga, a Buckeye.

IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG

And last is Moo, my second Buckeye. The fact he/she has no tail is worrying me. He/she was very slow to Feather.

IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3161.JPG
    IMG_3161.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 12
I'm no expert in the Polish field, as I've never owned any, so I'll stay silent there. :)

As for the Buckeyes and Wyandotte, there's absolutely nothing screaming cockerel at this time. Being slow to feather isn't necessarily a trait exclusive to one gender. Would you be able to update us in another few weeks just to make sure nothing's changed? :pop

~Alex

I cannot guarantee you on any of their gender because 6 weeks is still a young age to determine the sex. For now, the WCB I have no idea, BL I am going more towards pullet. Both SLW I am guessing are cockerels. Both Buckeyes I think are pullets. Please post again in a few weeks, I am not 100% accurate on any of their gender because comb color and size could just change rapidly in both development and color.

I'm no expert in the Polish field, as I've never owned any, so I'll stay silent there. :)

As for the Buckeyes and Wyandotte, there's absolutely nothing screaming cockerel at this time. Being slow to feather isn't necessarily a trait exclusive to one gender. Would you be able to update us in another few weeks just to make sure nothing's changed? :pop

~Alex
Thanks so much! Trying to determine gender really is a wild ride. I'm going to be out of town for that period of time but I'll do what I can.

Thank you! What makes you think cockerel on the SLW(s)?
I cannot guarantee you on any of their gender because 6 weeks is still a young age to determine the sex. For now, the WCB I have no idea, BL I am going more towards pullet. Both SLW I am guessing are cockerels. Both Buckeyes I think are pullets. Please post again in a few weeks, I am not 100% accurate on any of their gender because comb color and size could just change rapidly in both development and color.

I realized I forgot to add pictures of my second SLW so here she is:

View attachment 1571332 View attachment 1571333 View attachment 1571334
Sorry for the bad angles, this one doesn't like turning towards me.
No features are blatantly cockerel on this one, either. Time will tell! :)
Thanks so much! Trying to determine gender really is a wild ride. I'm going to be out of town for that period of time but I'll do what I can.
You're so welcome!

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom