Need help sexing two blue birchen marans

Clumsabella

Chirping
6 Years
May 19, 2017
Hey everybody!
Our first batch of chicks is a little over four weeks old, and I had originally thought that one of the two marans we bought was male due to their slow growth of pin and tail feathers. However, overnight the other maran seems to have grown a large comb and beginning waddles compared to the other 12 chicks we have.

As they are blue birchen marans, neither are the same colour. The bigger one has been dubbed “Bubbie” and the smaller one “Flapjack”. Flapjack was the original male, but now Bubbie seems to be way ahead in all things rooster.

I’m attempting to attach pictures of the chicks in the hopes that someone can help sort this problem out so that I don’t have to wait for one or both to crow.

IMG-2998.JPG
IMG-2999.JPG

IMG-3001.JPG

IMG-2996.JPG

IMG-3003.JPG

IMG-3005.JPG

The bigger, darker one is Bubbie, and the smaller, lighter one is Flapjack. Flapjack is still behind in its tail feather development compared to its friends, though is matching in pin feather development with the other 12 chicks now.

Any thoughts? Thanks for all your help!!

Attachments

• IMG-2996.JPG
    IMG-2996.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 5
Hey all, coming back after nearly six years (and laughing at this thread) to say you were right! Bubbie was a boy all along!

He passed this last spring from an illness he had been fighting for a while, but I think it's only fair that I provide a picture of the handsome boy all this time later. He was the best of roosters, kind and a gentle giant, and his girls loved him dearly. We hatched three daughters from him that are equally sweet (if a little air-headed, just like their dad).

Thank you again to everyone that weighed in all those years ago! <3

Attachments

• Bubbie1.jpg
    Bubbie1.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Bubbie2.jpg
    Bubbie2.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom