need help sexing

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
how can you tell what sex a 9 week old ringneck is? Ive have some getting dark/greenish black heads. Are those the males?

~Bryan

This is how I sex all types of fowl.

Take a thin string or some fishing line, about 1 foot long. Tie a bolt, or washer to one end.

Hold the chick in your hand, on it's back, with belly up. Hold the string by the end, and dangle the bolt over the chicks belly, about an inch above.

Hold it very steady. The bolt should start to move on it's own. If it swings in a circular motion, the chick is female. If it swings straight, from the neck to the tail, then the chick is male

They should start to get some different breast colors, wattles around the eyes, and a couple little white feathers on the neck.

A 7.5 week old rooster last year, cannibal too. That all stopped in the big pen.
037.jpg

Quote:
It has worked for me consistently. It's called "witching", and the farm centers hate it, but Oh Well.

Males and females of all species give off a different "static" charge, I guess. Heck, I don't know how it works, but I know it does.

Quote:
I was given this test with all my kids and guess what? It was never right. 5 kids later 3 girls 2 boys. It was suppose to be 3 boys 2 girls according to this method. Go figure.

Quote:
I was given this test with all my kids and guess what? It was never right. 5 kids later 3 girls 2 boys. It was suppose to be 3 boys 2 girls according to this method. Go figure.

I guess there's always a margin of error, with anything

Back
Top Bottom