Need help solving mystery quickly!

Kendrasueh

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2016
Hiddenite NC
I have a flock(45) of chickens aged six months to two years. Egg production has been in decline all summer but I’ve been blaming it on the incredibly hot summer we’ve had even though I keep fans going in the hen house. We are now down to a dozen a day. Two weeks ago I found one of them huddled in the corner unable to get on the perch at night when I went to pick her up she felt like a skeleton. upon further review they all feel like skeletons. They go through 10 gallons of Purina flock raiser a week, 2 quarts of scratch and a heaping cup of meal worms a day, free choice oyster shells and occasional scraps from the veggie garden. Their coop is 10x 12 dirt floor with 65’ of roosting space and 16 nests. They have a 1 1/2 acre yard. Well, that chicken died the next day and another one started acting dopey so I put her in intensive care. I switched everyone to Purina layer feed and after a week she seems perkier but has no grip to perch. Found another dopey chicken yesterday morning (perching fine)but she was dead by this morning? Their feathers are beautiful , some are coming out of molt, faces are clean with good color, clear eyes normal crop, normal vent, no sign of egg bound, legs are clean and smooth no sign of irritation, no one is scratching or digging... I live in commercial chicken country so it’s impossible to find a chicken vet or chicken medications. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a flock(45) of chickens aged six months to two years. Egg production has been in decline all summer but I’ve been blaming it on the incredibly hot summer we’ve had even though I keep fans going in the hen house. We are now down to a dozen a day. Two weeks ago I found one of them huddled in the corner unable to get on the perch at night when I went to pick her up she felt like a skeleton. upon further review they all feel like skeletons. They go through 10 gallons of Purina flock raiser a week, 2 quarts of scratch and a heaping cup of meal worms a day, free choice oyster shells and occasional scraps from the veggie garden. Their coop is 10x 12 dirt floor with 65’ of roosting space and 16 nests. They have a 1 1/2 acre yard. Well, that chicken died the next day and another one started acting dopey so I put her in intensive care. I switched everyone to Purina layer feed and after a week she seems perkier but has no grip to perch. Found another dopey chicken yesterday morning (perching fine)but she was dead by this morning? Their feathers are beautiful , some are coming out of molt, faces are clean with good color, clear eyes normal crop, normal vent, no sign of egg bound, legs are clean and smooth no sign of irritation, no one is scratching or digging... I live in commercial chicken country so it’s impossible to find a chicken vet or chicken medications. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Have you checked their poop? If you post clear photos of the poop somebody might be able to tell you if it appears normal or not.

How about their breathing -- any signs of discharge, raspy breathing, foul odor from beak or nostrils?

I'm not experienced with these things, but there are a lot of helpful people here.

Curious why you changed from flock raiser to laying feed. Do you provide grit -- free choice?

Back
Top Bottom