Need help suggestions for an injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hensnhorses, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Hensnhorses

Hensnhorses New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    I have hens and horses, and it looks like one of my horses might have stepped on or pushed one of my hens. Didn't see it happen, but she's not using her right leg, uses her wing to balance. I looked at her leg and there's no visible damage. She's pretty much just lying in one spot. I put her in an "x-pen" in the enclosed horse stall we use as a coop, so she's safe from the other hens, has food and water in there and looks like she's eating and drinking good. She also laid an egg the day before yesterday. It's possible that she got hurt up in her thigh, I didn't look at that, as she wasn't totally keen on being poked and prodded. Any suggestions besides keeping her somewhat isolated and quiet while she hopefully heals?

She's my daughter's favorite hen, "Snowy," so I'd prefer she healed and doubtful I'd get any of my family to eat her if push comes to shove. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, a coop tour sounds awesome. I'm up in Nowthen, near Elk River, and my coop is a converted horse stall, but would love to see what other folks are doing.

Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by