Need Help Understanding Hens New Sleeping Habit

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by capebird, Mar 6, 2012.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I have 4 hens. They have a coop which is attached to an enclosed run. In the past
    they would always go into the coop at dusk and hop up onto the roost and sleep there.
    I used to close the pop door at night and in the morning let them out into the run. For the past
    month or so I've not closed the pop door to the coop, but they always would go into the
    coop to sleep. Now, for the past 5 nights or so they seem to be sleeping out
    in the run on a branch that is suspended in their run.
    I'm wondering if I should pick them
    up and put them in the coop...but figure there must be some reason they want to sleep outside,
    so I just let them be.
    Is this something that I should be concerned about? thanks

2. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    they probly fill more safe out in the run then in the coop

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Do you have evidence of mice in your coop? My chickens started boycotting the coop when I had a rodent problem. Just a thought.....

4. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    You didn't say how old they are, but I wonder if they are kind of youn pullets who have not considered the dangers of sleeping outside. Mine went through a time when I had to hunt a few down at night. One thought that roosting on the 5 foot chain link fence was a fine idea. But we have all sorts of nocturnal predators, so I made them all go inside. I would shut the door too, or they might as well sleep outside.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Check this suggestion thoroughly. Other critters coming could also be problem.

Also consider light in coop going down before birds enter to roost. If too dark, then birds can not see well enough to enter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by