Need help w/diagnosis

FOYBOY

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Hi all,

I have a tiny banty hen Mz Chicken and she isnt looking so good. She has a raw neck (no feathers, feather patch loss, and her area where the eggs come out is swollen large and red. I have tried to find the problem on many chicken sites but since they use the technical terms and explain it too technically and very few have pictures I am at a loss to find out what is up with her. I can take a pick easily and show all if need be but wondering if you all find this familiar and can offer feedback? She is around 3-4yrs of age and one of the lights of my life.

All in all she just doesnt look good. Poor feather coloring patches of missing feathers. It might be important to tell you we reside in Phx and the heat here is well ya all know....we have misters for them and lots of shade and water too. WE bring her and FOY in when it is too hot cause they are so tiny I fear their blood will boil, lol I know that isnt possible but they are fragile compared to the rest of the variety living here. FOY doesnt appreciate it much cause he is thee BOY here, but to lose him would devestate us all so he will get over it.

Jaime and the peeps in Phoenix

Pictures would definately help.

She may just be molting, or there may be something more serious going on.

If her vent is truly protruding, that's a prolapse and can be treated - again pics would be helpful...

Hopefully we can get some good opinions and help for you!

And WELCOME~!

im not having any luck with figuring out how to get the pic in this forum topic. I have it in My Uploads but from there im lost.

I went to take a pic of her bum this am and it is fine, not swollen, nor inflamed nor red, just a nice small soft pink healthy looking bum!!! so she must have laid an egg shortly before I noticed this?

I have a pic of her feather loss and crappy coloring I could email it to someone whom knows how to post it here?

She could be heat stressed, and the molt also leaves them drained and somewhat vulnerable. Sounds like you are already taking precautions against the heat ~ you might also try adding some powdered vitamins/electrolytes to their water when it's hot. You can find this at your local feed store or co-op.

What are you feeding?
Are her droppings normal?
Have you noticed whether other birds are picking on her? Does she have the opportunity to get to the food, or is she being bullied?

Quote:
After you upload the pic, highlight the text that appears in the "Image" box beneath the thumbnail. Right click on the highlighted text and copy it to you clipboard, then come back to this thread, click edit under your original post, or reply. Paste the "Image" text anywhere in your message.
Hope you baby gets better.

OK Mz Chicken is thee boss around here, she doesnt realize she is a chicken I think...she was raised by humans and takes no crap from anyone and since all our chickens came to us as peeps and we raised them they are convinced she is evil reincarnated.

Her stools are normal and she has no problems with the food as I put lots of feeders all around and everyone gets a chance to eat. They all share nicely.

I have been routinely dusting her and we spray and dust to keep parasites down.

Welp ahve to go out and clean up after the horrid monsoon that rolled thru last night. sigh

Back
Top Bottom