Need help with 1 yr old hens not laying. Never been good layers

shine389

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 15, 2012
USA, Pittsburgh PA 15209
Hi fellow chicken lovers (although it's changing for me...):

I need some help. I have 5 barred rock hens. (because a prior BR was a great layer) Got them last March. They were late to lay eggs. The eggs were small. By fall, they were laying, but not everyone every day, and then before you know it, it's winter, and just got an occasional egg. (have had 3 separate flocks, and the new ones have always layed through their first winter). Not these girls. Now, I'm getting 1 egg every 3rd day. And there are feathers everywhere, like it's a spring molt. I'm ready to cull them and start over. I need eggs, not pets. Although they are pets if they lay. :) They get good feed, and their protein is fine. I just feel like these are a bad batch of hens. Any thoughts? advice? suggestions?

They have a nice home and are bug free, too.

gloria

Give us more information about there enviroment. How much room do they have, coop size and run size.
Is it possible that they are eating eggs? All it taKes is one determined egg eater.
You say they eat well, but what exactly is it. Do they get alot of scraps?
My barred rocks have always been great layers and had good personalities also.
If your main objective is eggs, maybe the production breeds would be a better choice.

Well most likely chickens are very poor layers in the winter, but when it comes summer they lay everyday. Some chickens are very poor layers like,
Aseels,
Cornish crosses,
Japanese Bantams,
Rosecomb Bantams
And lots more.

Don't blame the chickens ... The weather has been "odd" this year, don't know where you're located. I've been hearing from a few hear that live here their Roos not doing the job and egg production way off. Usually it's picked up by now....

You may want to update your profile with location, we won't have to ask your climate, predator possibilities, supply availability and knowing your time zone helps tagging those in your time zone for help.

I'm seeing seriously poor quality birds coming from the poultry houses the past few years. I bought 15 Gold Laced Wyandottes from Myers 3 years ago. Poor feather production, small birds, poor disposition and some NEVER laid. The best bird out of the group was the rooster. Two years ago I got 6 Easter Eggers from Cackle. The Roo is Awesome. The Hens started laying at 24 weeks. Laid for 6 months and Haven't Laid Since. One hen died two days after swelling up with fluid this past Jan. I doubt it was egg bound or egg peritonitis. She hadn't laid an egg in 18 mos. None of that group has.

I just got a mixed batch of 10 from Hoover's Hatchery. Four were supposed to be a Bantam mix. Two turned out to be ENORMOUS Silkies. And the other two could be wrens for all I know. They're 3 weeks old and the same size as the day I got them.

I'm thinking my next batch comes from a local breeder and I pray for a broody that raises her own.

Give us more information about there enviroment. How much room do they have, coop size and run size.
Is it possible that they are eating eggs? All it taKes is one determined egg eater.
You say they eat well, but what exactly is it. Do they get alot of scraps?
My barred rocks have always been great layers and had good personalities also.
If your main objective is eggs, maybe the production breeds would be a better choice.
Im, no expert, but this isn't my first chicken rodeo either. all you ask is in order. I too love their personalities. That's one of the reasons I got them.

Don't blame the chickens ... The weather has been "odd" this year, don't know where you're located. I've been hearing from a few hear that live here their Roos not doing the job and egg production way off. Usually it's picked up by now....

You may want to update your profile with location, we won't have to ask your climate, predator possibilities, supply availability and knowing your time zone helps tagging those in your time zone for help.

Working on updating my profile. Thanks for the nudge

Back
Top Bottom