Need help with 2 bantam chicks breed ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twinmama, Apr 19, 2015.

1. twinmama

twinmama Chirping

Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    I got 4 new bantams yesterday out of a mixed bantam bin. Only possibilities according to the hatchery's website are Mille Fleur or Porcelain d'Uccle, white Silkie, Golden or Silver Seabright, and Silver Duckwing, Brown, or Red Pyle OEGB. The 2 light chicks with black skin are definitely my white silkies. I need help with:

1. Buff chick in the middle of the 1st pic has dark pink skin, pinkish beak and legs, slightly darker shading on the legs, feathered legs, 5 toes, and puffy feathers on top of the head like the white silkies. This pic doesn't show clearly enough, but the feathers are definitely a buff color, not yellow like the other 2. Based on the possible breeds, I assume she must be a silkie, but what color should she be in the future if the hatchery only lists white?

2. Dark chick that is black, brown, and red with dark striping on the back. Feathering in very dark. Which is this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any help!

2. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chirping

May 17, 2014
    I see two silkies in the first pic

3. twinmama

twinmama Chirping

Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    Those 2 silkies in the pic are the only 2 that I already know. The other 2 I'm not sure on because the coloring doesn't match the hatchery possibilities according to the pics I've managed to find online. The buff chick has all of the silkie characteristics except for the black skin, which is what's confusing on that 1. The dark chick I just have no idea.

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Songster

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    First chick doesn't have a dark beak that characterizes silkies or the dark skin, so it could be a hatchery quality buff silkie.
    Second chick doesn't really look like any of the breeds listed, what type of comb does it have, what color are it's legs, and is it possible that you could have gotten breeds that weren't listed?

5. twinmama

twinmama Chirping

Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    The dark chick has dark gray legs and a totally flat comb at this point with absolutely no bumps or ridges, so I'm not even sure what comb type that will be.

The buff actually has 5 full toes on one foot with one of those toes having 2 tips. Guess maybe that's actually 6 toes with 2 of them partially fused? The other foot just has 5 toes. These are from Townline Hatchery, but I just keep them as pets that lay eggs and eat bugs in the yard [​IMG]. I'm hoping they wouldn't have or send breeds that they don't even claim to have online, but I know it's possible.

6. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Songster

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North

Oh, they're from Townline, I didn't have the best experience with them because the birds had different color toenails, wrong color of skin, and white feathers on black breeds, so I wouldn't be surprised is the birds aren't the colors they're supposed to be or have too many toes. Chick number two might be a cross breed knowing their quality, but they lay many eggs in their first year.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. twinmama

twinmama Chirping

Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    Thanks. That makes sense to me. Unfortunately all of my local feed stores are using the same hatchery this year, so not too much choice.

8. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Songster

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    One of my Easter Eggers from Townline won the whole open class section of the fair, but they mostly judge on how the bird looks like it had been cared for, but all of my Australorps and Easter Eggers are pretty to look at and have nice personalities, so they should be good pets for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: