1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help with a Baby Chick Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hokiechick, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hokiechick

Hokiechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I got some chicks in the mail yesterday from the hatchery, and one of my Buff Orphinton chicks can't stand. It's legs aren't going off to the side and she's hopping/scooting around, but she cannot stand. For the most part she's just sitting on her bottom with her legs underneath her body.

Also having a problem with sticky bottom with her, which does happen and I know how to take care of that, but I feel awful she can't walk. I thought maybe it was spraddle leg, but her legs aren't really going off to the sides.

Any help or advice would be great. There are replacement chicks because a dog got to some of my husband's Delawares, and I would hate to lose any more chickens. [​IMG]

2. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I'd give the chick Poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron (which is a human infant vitamin liquid available at drugstores). I would also give her WARM molasses water (one large drop of food-grade molasses in a tablespoon of warm water). Give 7-12 sips of warm molasses water per day for 3-4 days, being careful not to submerge the chick's nostrils in the water if you must force her to sip. The molasses water is a chick laxative. Many times pasty butt also comes with constipation (caused by shipping stresses) and it can kill a chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by