Need help with a business idea.

If you have "earned income" above a certain level, you would file on your own. However, if you have to put a bunch of money INTO the project (buy supplies and build a coop, buy chickens, feed, etc.) then you will almost certainly start out with a business LOSS.

Depending on how long-term you want to go with this, and what your tax bracket is (or your parents) you probably either want to stay on their taxes and let THEM take the initial business LOSS (saves them on their taxes!!!) OR you might break away from them and start out your life with losses/tax credits.

From a family point of view, it would probably be most beneficial to the family finances if you stayed with your parents. Whether you file taxes yourself or not DOES NOT AFFECT whether they can take you as a dependent/exemption or not. BUT, if they take an exemption for you, and YOU file taxes, you cannot also take an exemption for yourself. Since you will be operating at a loss at first anyway, you don't really "need" the exemption to save yourself taxes, you will not owe any!!!

HOWEVER, as a caveat for this whole thing, you need to structure it in such a way that you really plan to do this long term and eventually have a profit, or the IRS might get upset with you because if it's not really expected to make real money as a business, they consider it a "hobby". You can't take a tax deduction for a "hobby".

DISCLAIMER: I am not an accountant or tax adviser, but I am a small business owner and have talked with MY accountant a lot. We do have chickens, did save all of our receipts, but we aren't planning on taking the loss on our taxes at this point. We'd rather have the definition "hobby" for ourselves, because if we sell eggs here and there, then we don't have to declare that as INCOME.
wink.png
We are looking VERY long term survivability, so we made our decisions this way based on that.

If you really want to do it as a business, you can do it as an individual small business, which is generally referred to as a Sole Proprietorship, you just have to file a Schedule C along with the standard 1040 tax return form (your parents probably already use Form 1040). You don't have to file any paperwork to "incorporate" or anything like that, and I am not sure you even could incorporate if you are a minor (see disclaimer above!).

Good luck, ask around, if your parents have an accountant/tax adviser, see if you can get some questions answered when your parents are filing their taxes.

Edited to add: I just saw the info about being given 8 acres - is that property in YOUR NAME? If so, and you are serious about a real operation here, you really need to look at incorporating. The tax advantages long term would really help you out int he long run. LLC is the easiest way to go, but if you form an S-Corporation there are lots of tax advantages. Talk to a tax professional to better assess your situation. The cost of getting good advice up front can be intimidating, my accountant charges $100 per hour, or $150 per hour during tax season. But it would be WELL WORTH IT. Most businesses fail because people don't pre-plan well enough, and they are scared to spend money up front (or don't have it!) and can't get the business on good solid footing. How much starting capital do you have access to?

Last edited:
Quote:
You will first need to devise a business plan on paper, detailing your entire operation, equipment & facilities you will need to run the operation and what facilities you will build/need to house your animals.

You will need to do the math and come up with some solid figures of what your start up costs will be and that may then recquire you to apply for a bank loan (unless you have the money).

The bank will want to see your plan and your estimated monthly/yearly income expectations.

They want to see on paper that you are comitted to your plan and that this is indeed a money making venture, whereby you of course will be able to pay them back the money you borrowed from them.

Don't forget you may have to hire a contractor and his subs to build etc...

Once you have a very good idea of where you want to go with this, I'm sure the good people on here will be able to help you pick out the best breeds to mess with & other advice.

Best of luck!

...JP

So I would have to get my mom to apply for a loan? As for the buildings, I go to an ag school full of carpenters that could help me. I'm a pretty good carpenter myself. As for tax returns, How would that work out? Would I have to file on my Parents taxes because of my age or does the government work out a plan for young business owners?
hmm.png

Does your ground have water and electric? Or is that something you would have to gain access to?

I don't mean to sound negative about your idea, but if you are serious about doing this you definately need to be in it for the long term and talk to a qualified tax person to help you get a realistic viewpoint of what this is going to cost you.

Also I would not count on volunteer help to make this happen.

Quote:
I have a good bit of starting capital. My dad just got a settlement so I might talk him into a loan. If not I could file for a bank loan under my mom's name and pay her back. I do plan on doing this long term if i can. Once I get it started I know I'll have a tremendous gain after about 8 months. I'm running a hobby business now selling eggs and meat birds and that's doing pretty good so I just want to upscale. Also since my friend is a co-owner would he file taxes separately or would we file together. (I'm not very good with taxes yet so try to explain please). Also do I have to pay that much for an accountant or would a loan company or bank know enough to explain it.Thanks every one for your help.
wink.png

I think you and your partner would have to responsible and have the loan in your names.....whether it's from your dad or a bank. When my kids were in FFA any kind of project, they were responsible for it all. They never did a project like this. but more tractor restoration tryp things. Your FFA advisor would be able to tell you.

I'll talk to a professional now about taxes. Can anyone give advice on management or marketing?

I would recommend you and your partner do this OFFICIALLY, form an S-Corporation with you two as officers (one would be Prez, and the other one Vice Prez). Jump through the hoops, you have to "issue stock" to yourselves, but an accountant can do that for you. Since you are talking about TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, leading into long term HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS flying around, don't skimp on paying for good advice up front.

SEE AN ACCOUNTANT and get incorporated if you can. Again, I'm not sure if you can legally incorporate if you are a minor. How old are you, how old is your partner, and when will you both be 18???

Back
Top Bottom