~~~ Need HELP with a cracked egg! (She didn't make it) ~~~

I would keep wetting it every few hours and keep an eye on it. My eggs from her all hatched on day 19 so I am guessing it will be just fine, good luck.
fl.gif

Quote:
Ok now I'm panicing again!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

I'm putting my daughter down for a nap and going back out with a wet cloth in hand.

Oh Shannon, I didn't mean to scare you to death! I just knew right off what good quality they are.

Okay, I'm half crazy, no all the way, but that's another story. This is what I'd try. What if you mist the membrane and cut the cotton part of a band-aid with just a small enough piece of the sticky part to hold that bandage on?? Maybe that would keep it moistened enough for the egg to not dry out. And just keep an eye open for a pip.

Anyone else can think of anything???

I was just watching it and wetting it again, but I've been using my fingers so I want to try something more likely to hold moisture, but of course not soak it.

I was just talking to my husband and he thinks a cotton ball wet would help. I like the bandage cotton idea... but are you suggesting I secure it?! I really don't think my hens will happy with me sitting their all day like a bed side nurse! LOL
lol.png

I didn't have a tee or cloth, so I tried a wet papertowel (damp) and I'll redampen it in a couple of hours. The hen is still sitting on it anyways.

Alright, the hens decided the weird paper towel covered egg was not cool and pecked at it and pushed it out. It lost more egg shell but not the membrane. Its still alive.

So I removed the crushed shell, wrapped it back in the paper towel, brought it inside Placed it in a plastic piece of tupperware that I set on top of a larger bowl of tupperware filled with hot water (the water is not touching the bowl with the egg in it). Its under a light I used in our duck brooder.

I'm going to cross my fingers now... if it peeped on its own I hope this is enough to get it to finish hatching on its own.

Bummer.
hmm.png

ETA: I placed a heating pad under it on medium to keep the water warm and added a damp sponge on top.

Last edited:
Wow that is neat! Put a thermometer in there and see how warm it is. It should be 99 to 100 degrees and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom