Need help with abandoned lamb

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Hello!
My neighbors asked me if I wanted to take this lamb that they've had for a few days... They said that they got it from someone else, who a farmer gave it to because the mom rejected it and he doesn't have time to bottle raise it. Anyways I pretty much can't turn it down. I breed and raise goats and pigs already, so I have a lot of experience bottle raising, but I want to know more about sheep in particular.
First of all, we're guessing that he's about a week old and someone suggested that it's probably a Suffolk cross. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I was wondering if he would be happy with my goats and mini horse (who is 21 years old and very friendly with the goats and goat kids) or if I will have to get another lamb at some point? I am going to castrate him today and I was wondering if anyone knows if wool from a castrated lamb is usable (I've read that people only use ewe wool)? I can't feel any horn buds right now (I don't think I can anyways...) so does that mean it's polled? I always dehorn my goats at a week old but they are much smaller than him (I raise Nigerian dwarfs). Do I have to dock his tail or is it unnecessary? Any other advice would be appreciated too!

(*It cut it's ear on a fence, so that's why it's bandaged)

Thanks!

IMG_20200301_165005.jpg

Hi, good on you for taking the little guy in.
If you are not concerned with parasite spread or disease, as lambs/sheep can be even heavier carriers that goats, then treat him just like you would bottle baby kids. The same formula will work and some of the same considerations go into choosing the formula.

The ONE big thing with sheep vs goats, is you have to watch copper. Many sheep only items will be labeled copper free, but with mild products, if it's labeled ok for lambs, like a uni-milk type of product, then it's probably fine.
Research copper in sheep.

Wool. A spinner's (people who spin wool) desire for wool is fully dependent on the breed, not the sex of the lamb. While it is true, as an animal ages, especially an intact male, the wool gets coarser over time, but quality wool comes from breeds bred for wool. Some dual purpose breeds can produce meat and/or milk and decent wool, but in general quality wool comes from specific wool breeds. If little lamby was a sought after wool breed, he would have been kept and bottle raised by the breeder. Good wool is expensive.

Whatever his breed, or mix of is (sorry, can't help with that) get him castrated!
Just like bucklings, and eventual full grown bucks, if you plan to keep him around he will turn into a stinky and difficult to deal with ram if you don't.

Disbudding- Many breeds of sheep do not have horns so you may not have to even worry about it. Keep checking his head daily to feel for incoming horn buds.

Tail- entirely dependent on you. You don't have to dock it. Docking is usually done to make flock keeping easier in order to prevent fly strike. As an only lamb and pet, having a tail should not be an issue.

The other animals, once he's big enough, he'll get along just fine with the other animals you mentioned. As probably the more docile one, you might have to make sure he gets his fair share of hay and nutrition, but again back to the copper. Much depends on how you keep your other farm animals.
For example, my equines to not get traditional feeds because they don't need them, so having a sheep in with them would be fine as they can share the same pasture and hay, however I know my one horse is rather klutzy so having a much smaller animal in his space might not be wise.
A full grown goat could probably hold his own, but a more docile sheep probably not.
Chances are he'll be fine with your goats and mini, once he's bigger.

He sure is cute...

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful information. I have another question (which is probably stupid) but will he keep his spots as he gets older? Again, I really appreciate your help!

There is no such thing as a stupid question. :D Ask away, though I will admit I'm not very knowledgeable of sheep specifics. I've got some experience with sheep, but many things transfer over from other species, which I've had plenty of including Nigerians and full sized dairy goats.

Spots- I would think he will keep them. Some breeds, such as Jacob sheep or Katahdins keep their spots, though I don't think he's either of those with his black legs. Ask around to see what the predominant sheep breed is in your area.
For example Katahdins (and mixes of) are the predominant breed in my area, which is a hair sheep. And that means they shed their coat annually so don't have any usable wool to speak of.

If you get a chance post some more pictures and maybe others will see and have some breed ideas.

How's his ear doing? What are you putting on it?
Many of the same things you might put on a goat wound is ok for him.

Back
Top Bottom