Need help with an egg issue......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csummer8882, Sep 23, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have a girl that insists on kicking out everything that is in the nest box. We have tried almost everything I think. She likes a nice thin layer of hay in there we have finally figured it out, I think. In light of the nice thin layer, this is what I get every day in at least 1 egg. The shell is cracked, with a hole but the membrane is still intact. Is the egg still good or not? Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    As long as the membrane is intact it should be fine, especially if you are gathering them daily. I would just move the cracked eggs to the top of the pile for being used and not use them in a soft cooked method. JMHO

Stephen

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I've eaten them like this. My Delaware will do this sometimes if someone has laid in her box first. I try to collect eggs as I hear the egg song, but I'm not always home. She seems to do it more out of anger than like she wants to eat the egg. Darn chickens. ha ha

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got a few of those along the way. Think its more of poor rolling skills and perhaps not enough calcium. Seems it was always on the end never in the middle.

5. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Yes, its always on the end. Like maybe she isnt squatting down enough and the egg just drops out of her. LOL Thanks everyone. I have been throwing these holy eggs out but I will keep them from here on out. Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by