Need help with another hatch... chick struggling

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
Ok, so this chick has been struggling to hatch for 48 hours; finally did today but I had to assist by breaking apart pieces of shell - I was careful not to tear off the membrane. Problem is, the umbilical cord is still attached to a glop of grossness to the bottom part of the shell, and the top part of the shell seems to be shrink wrapped to the chicks head, as if it has a helmet melted on top of it. It seems to be in distress; it’s leg keeps shaking - idk what to do....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 32
To remove the shell try using a cotton swab or something else wetted with warm water, the membrane under the shell will get wet and be easly removed.

Ok, so this chick has been struggling to hatch for 48 hours; finally did today but I had to assist by breaking apart pieces of shell - I was careful not to tear off the membrane. Problem is, the umbilical cord is still attached to a glop of grossness to the bottom part of the shell, and the top part of the shell seems to be shrink wrapped to the chicks head, as if it has a helmet melted on top of it. It seems to be in distress; it’s leg keeps shaking - idk what to do....
The glob is just wastes, nothing to be concerned about. You can take the shell off the glob, & take the membrane off the chick's head.

You're welcome.

If you need anymore help, we're here to help you.
I appreciate it very much. It’s little wings were glued to its head, not allowing it to straighten out. I’m still not sure it’s going to make it, but at least it’s not stuck in a ball freaking out anymore and if it does pass it will pass in peace... I had one die this morning still in the wet phase; a second one looked poorly so I gave it some sugar water and it perked right up! I may try this with this one, but I’ll give it a few hours to get over the shock of me letting it loose into the world...
Thank you again.

Last edited:
I appreciate it very much. It’s little wings were glued to its head, not allowing it to straighten out. I’m still not sure it’s going to make it, but at least it’s not stuck in a ball freaking out anymore and if it does pass it will pass in peace... I had one die this morning still in the wet phase; a second one looked poorly so I gave it some sugar water and it perked right up! I may try this with this one, but I’ll give it a few hours to get over the shock of me letting it loose into the world...
Thank you again.
So the chick was a sticky chick? Hopefully it does make it.

Back
Top Bottom