Need help with Chicken psychology

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rvbbz92, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rvbbz92

rvbbz92 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2010
    I am just starting out in chickens so I only got three to start with. I have 1 polish rooster, 1 polish hen and a partridge rock hen. They are suppose to around 7 mo. My problem is the rooster dominates the polish hen, he will not let her outside the coop. The rooster has no problems with partridge rock. Any suggestions?

2. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Eat 'im.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Just tell him that 'a good roo wouldn't do that...not a GOOD one...' (chicken psychology)

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Isolate him for a few days then put him back in the coop. He will be the low man on the totem pole. If that does not solve the problem, I agree, you need to consider getting rid of him. A good roo protects and helps his hens, he does not abuse them.

5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Sounds more like chicken mind games.

6. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    He's still young. Isolate him for a few days and then you need to do rooster 101 - make him realize YOU are the top rooster. Pick him up. Carry him. Do not let him get the upper wing errr hand! Stare him down and don't take any guff from him. Follow him relentlessly until he backs down. I have three NH roos and 7 bantam cochin roos. They know I am the boss and they don't even breed when I am around. I won't allow it. They know their names and all I have to do any more is speak sharply to them and they go the opposite direction. I have never hit a roo and don't need to! I even have crowing matches with my top roo King Strut!

7. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Bunnibird55- you should write a book! That post made me laugh out loud- you sound like a tough taskmaster!!

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Why do men leave dirty socks on the floor... or worse, throw them on top of the clean basket of (FOLDED) clothes?

Course you can't pluck and eat a man... well, suppose you COULD sneak in and apply wax or nair as they sleep...

But they tend to frown on hubbicide in these parts... but Roos... they're fair game.

9. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Isolate him for a few days so the hens can get used to the surroundings. The he'll be the intruder [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by