Need help with Chicken psychology

rvbbz92

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
I am just starting out in chickens so I only got three to start with. I have 1 polish rooster, 1 polish hen and a partridge rock hen. They are suppose to around 7 mo. My problem is the rooster dominates the polish hen, he will not let her outside the coop. The rooster has no problems with partridge rock. Any suggestions?

Isolate him for a few days then put him back in the coop. He will be the low man on the totem pole. If that does not solve the problem, I agree, you need to consider getting rid of him. A good roo protects and helps his hens, he does not abuse them.

He's still young. Isolate him for a few days and then you need to do rooster 101 - make him realize YOU are the top rooster. Pick him up. Carry him. Do not let him get the upper wing errr hand! Stare him down and don't take any guff from him. Follow him relentlessly until he backs down. I have three NH roos and 7 bantam cochin roos. They know I am the boss and they don't even breed when I am around. I won't allow it. They know their names and all I have to do any more is speak sharply to them and they go the opposite direction. I have never hit a roo and don't need to! I even have crowing matches with my top roo King Strut!

Why do men leave dirty socks on the floor... or worse, throw them on top of the clean basket of (FOLDED) clothes?

Course you can't pluck and eat a man... well, suppose you COULD sneak in and apply wax or nair as they sleep...

But they tend to frown on hubbicide in these parts... but Roos... they're fair game.

Quote:
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom