Need help with chicks

Cooper235

Hatching
Jun 24, 2018
As of yesterday, I had one 3 week old Rhode Island Red, one 2 week old americano, one 1.5 week old unknown, and one 1.5 week old crested in the same brooder. The crested chick was very tiny and was always getting knocked around, and seemed to always be looking for someone to snuggle with. This morning, I went to check on them and they were fine. Two hours later, I went to check on them and the crested chick was lying on its side in the bedding dead. The other chicks were stepping all over her so I removed her ASAP. I called the feed store she came from and they said that the brooder is too cold. I try and keep it at an average of 85-90 with the different age ranges of chicks. Also, a few hours after, my Americana was trying to lay on its side the same exact way the crested chick had been. I made the Americana get up to make sure it wasn't dying, and when she got up, she couldn't walk on her leg. It is now 92 degrees in the brooder, but I don't know how to prevent the rest from dying!!!! They always have access to food and water so I really need help!!

I always use 90 degrees for my brooder chicks, and have a cooler spot for them to go to to be cooler. Your chicks may be suffering from shipping stress. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell and give them each a drop or two. Dip their beaks into water several times an hour, and sprinkle chick crumbles around their feet on a paper towel, and show them how to eat.Do you see any pasty butt or poop clumped on their vents? Stressed chicks frequently may have that. It has to be checked and cleaned off with warm soapy water daily. Usually it goes away after the first week or so. I hope the rest survive and do well?

Back
Top Bottom