need help with coop layout

Phox01

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Straughn , Indiana
We planned on 12 chickens and ended up with 54 , DH built a great hoop house that would have been perfect for 12 but is way too small for 54.
30810_file0022.jpg

30810_file0023.jpg

30810_file0024.jpg

He has decided to get a barn kit from the lumber yard , 5 foot side walls , barn type roof , 12 x 16 . Now I just need help with the layout of the nest boxes , roosts and all the other things. Any help will be greatly appreciated . We do have an old metal nest box set , one piece 10 boxes , 2 tier .

The flock consists of 12 bantams , and 42 standards , we will be processing 6 roosters when they are big enough so that will take total down to 48 .

Please help I am no architect , I can not even arrange furniture even though I love moving it around all the time.

8-10 next boxes should be plenty and have them with outside access.... and make certain that the roof covers that area.

there... that's my .02 worth.

awesome coop!!!! Is it bette rto have the nest boxes in a shadowed corner? I have hanging feeders and waterers . Where would be the best place to put them ? I w3as planning to have a 4 ft storage area at one end , will that still leave enough room for the chickens?

Hi, the hens will like it better in a quiet darker area. The feeders can go anywhere there is room for them to gather around but not in front of the roost. They need room to fly down from the roost. You will be getting short of space for the chickens with that many if you include a 4 foot storage space. A solution might be some sort of cabinets up off the floor. That way at least you won't be losing floor space.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom