Need help with coop size and run!

Flowerchickie

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Washington PNW
I had a chicken coop that I commissioned that was supposed to 4x6. I didn't realize till it was delivered that a foot of space was being used by the nesting boxes, so the actual coop floor space is 4x5 with 8ft of roosting space. I built a fully covered run that is 176 sq ft, and I will have additional space weather permitting and if I am home that will be covered with hawk netting so they can roam. The space is over 2 times the size of the run. I also built a large playground in there for them with platforms for them to jump on and stairs. Also planning to connect a compost bin so they can dig around in there for tasty bugs and scraps I also planned to let them free range if I have time at the end of the day to watch them for a few hours due to a lot of hawks around. I only have 4 chickens right now, and I really wanted to have 6 in the future. The person I bought it from said it would fit 6. If I had known that included the nest boxes I would have gone bigger. Would I be able to keep 6 in the coop and run comfortably? I really want a light brahma and a swedish flower hen.

Also another question is I wanted to install a window that is mostly just for light since my coop is a little dark. Would it be ok installing one that is on the same level as the lower roosting bars?

Can you take the nesting boxes out? I am all for repurposing items... I took and old wood ladder, and my nesting boxes are 5 gallon pails for easy cleaning (I can just pull them out and wash and spray them down, I Love Them!), I shoved the the 5 gallon pails into the rungs of the ladder. This idea opened up so much room in my coop.
How many nesting boxes do you have in the coop? I have 3 nesting boxes for my flock with 16 hens.
My window is at the same level as my roosting bars. It is also an old window that doesn't completely seal at the bottom so they can get extra ventilation and in the nice months I leave it open 24/7 (I installed hardware cloth over the outside of the window and it goes 1 foot pass the window frame, and then the siding was installed up to the window frame).

Would I be able to keep 6 in the coop and run comfortably?
Ehhh, might be fine....if run is predator and weather proof.

Also another question is I wanted to install a window that is mostly just for light since my coop is a little dark. Would it be ok installing one that is on the same level as the lower roosting bars?
Got pics, inside and out?

Oh, and .... Welcome to BYC! @Flowerchickie
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600982241075.png

the actual coop floor space is 4x5 with 8ft of roosting space. Would I be able to keep 6 in the coop and run comfortably? I really want a light brahma and a swedish flower hen.

What kinds of chickens do you have?
Bantams do not need as much space as larger chickens.

Can you take the nesting boxes out? I am all for repurposing items... I took and old wood ladder, and my nesting boxes are 5 gallon pails for easy cleaning (I can just pull them out and wash and spray them down, I Love Them!), I shoved the the 5 gallon pails into the rungs of the ladder. This idea opened up so much room in my coop.
How many nesting boxes do you have in the coop? I have 3 nesting boxes for my flock with 16 hens.
My window is at the same level as my roosting bars. It is also an old window that doesn't completely seal at the bottom so they can get extra ventilation and in the nice months I leave it open 24/7 (I installed hardware cloth over the outside of the window and it goes 1 foot pass the window frame, and then the siding was installed up to the window frame).

I wish I could pull them out. They are built on and one piece with the main wall of the coop =(

Most of those are fairly big, so adding two more might be too much if they have to stay shut in the coop.

But if the run is predator-proof, and has a roof to keep off rain/snow, then you could leave the pop door open ALL the time. Then it might work.

The 8 feet of roost should be enough for 6 birds to sleep. The problem is when they wake up and want some space NOW, without waiting for the human to come let them out ;) Or when it's raining or snowy and they don't want to go out in it (which is why a roof on at least part of the run.)

Last edited:
Ehhh, might be fine....if run is predator and weather proof.

Got pics, inside and out?

Oh, and .... Welcome to BYC! @Flowerchickie
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2346767
I covered the whole thing in 1/2" hardware cloth and put 1.5' apron on the ground around the whole run and coop. I live in western WA so I made sure to put up clear roofing so the run stays dry and they can get as much light as possible. I also plan to put up clear plastic sheeting around the run during the winter because it gets windy in our backyard and the rain blows in sideways. I want them to be able to come out everyday into the run. I'll post pics of the coop soon. It's been raining alot out there so waiting for a break.

Mots of those are fairly big, so adding two more might be too much if they have to stay shut in the coop.

But if the run is predator-proof, and has a roof to keep off rain/snow, then you could leave the pop door open ALL the time. Then it might work.

The 8 feet of roost should be enough for 6 birds to sleep. The problem is when they wake up and want some space NOW, without waiting for the human to come let them out ;) Or when it's raining or snowy and they don't want to go out in it (which is why a roof on at least part of the run.)
I made sure if was predator proof with hardware cloth all around and a 1.5' apron surrounding the whole thing. I live in western WA so it's rainville here so I have clear roofing covering the whole thing so the entire run stays dry. I also have an omlet automatic door that lets them out and closes them up for the night. They are always going through the compost pile when I wake up in the morning lol.

Back
Top Bottom