NEED Help!!!!!! with coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenshow, Mar 23, 2008.

1. chickenshow

chickenshow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    ok i have a coop it is alittle over 3 foot wide and bout 3 foot long and bout 4 foot tall and has a large outdoor run how many seramas will this hold

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    This is the general rule for square footage: 4 square foot per chicken inside the coop, 10 square feet per chicken inside the run. A little bigger is always better. Hope this helps!
    So, if you have 9 square feet total you could have 2 maybe 3 birds, depending on size. I don't know how big your chickens get.
    *Just so you know- you can use the search tab at the top of the page and search for more information about this topic. This is lots and lots of information under the "Coop & Run Design and Construction" section. There are lots of pictures of coops under that tab as well.

Have fun! Enjoy your chicks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    maybe 4 since they're so small?

Pat

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have 6 in my one coop and it's about that size. They do fine and serama's are a lot smaller then my girls. Mine don't have a problem with the size of their coop. They are outside in their run 95% of the time anyways.

5. chickenshow

chickenshow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    well i plan on doubling it in june or so

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by