Need help with coyotes!!

fishnick2401

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Hello to everyone. I live in Western NY and was wondering if there is any type of device or animal that would deter coyotes from bothering our livestock. I've heard that donkey's and other types of animals will protect your livestock from coyotes. I was also wondering if anyone has used the device that emits a flashing red l.e.d. light. They are supposed to make a predator think they are being watched by another animal-making them less likely to bother any of your animals. Any info. or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Have coyotes already attacked your animals or do you just see them in the area? If you have already experienced an attack, report it to the NYDEC. They are keeping records on it for Best Management Practice data.

Check out the Electronic Gaurd or Critter Gitter that combine lights and sirens they do work. Llamas and donkey do very well to guard livestock. Guard dogs that live out with the livestock also work well, like Komondor, Akbash or Great Pyrenes. As a last resort, you can find a reputable trapper on www.nyswma.org. Just click on the find a NWCO near you link. Coyote problems spike this time of year in NY because they are trying to feed those voracious pups and are looking for an easy meal and are the second most common complaint after Canada Geese.

Thanks. I already have dogs , but I meant for an animal that would live at the barn amoung the rest of our animals. It's at night when the coyotes come over to the barn. (They have gotten really close to our barn lately.) I keep the barn doors closed at night but, I made one of the stalls for some of the animals to go in and out from the pasture and their stall as they please. In the one pasture we have a pond with some geese and ducks, etc. that can go into their stall when they want. That's why I wanted some type of animal that would live amoung the rest to help ward off any predators. Or a mechanical device that would make them think they are being watched by another predator, (the blinking red led light).

Hey thanks gypsygirl1421. I didnt know that I could report it to the DEC. I will have to do that. There have been a couple of times they have gotten some of our smaller animals. Such as chickens and ducks. Just they other day one of our pigs just gave birth to piglets, so I'm worried they might try to get them. Also we have horses and my aunt said the one morning last week she saw one of the coyotes approaching our one horse. She said the horse and coyote would take turns moving closer to each other. Then she said they just stopped and starred at each other. Then she scared the coyote away, but I think thats bad if they get that close to our animals, don't you? LoL
My uncle found their den a couple days ago can you get in trouble if you kill them yourself or do you have to have the DEC come out? Thanks again.

You can legally shoot or trap a coyote threatening your livestock outside of the regular season. I am sure the coyotes are certainly thinking about eating your ducks and geese! A male and female ate our neighbors pet goat that was tied to her front porch in broad daylight. You can trap or shoot them yourself, I would be surprised they are still in the same den if your uncle got near, they do move dens pretty frequently and are pretty wary. Keep a log of dates and times you see them, documentation always helps your case. It wouldn't hurt to contact your local encon officer to let them know you are trapping/shooting coyotes that have been consistently threatening your livestock. Although, there is something to be said for keeping things quiet too.

Thanks for all of the help. Much appreciated
smile.png

I don't know if it's the same there as here, but there is no season for coyotes. They are varmints and can be killed year-round.

Back
Top Bottom