1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with crazy hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Lil, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Help please I'm not sure what to do about my nutty little hen. She is a seven month old silkie who started laying about the first of the year. She has become broody and I have tried everything to get her out of this funk.

First she tried to hatch the golf ball, but I took that away. Than she kept trying to hatch other hens eggs. We now check for and remove eggs from the nesting box a few times a day. We only have two nesting boxes for our eight hens, and she is hogging the one. We actually have two other hens that will get in the box with her and push her to the back so they can lay an egg. Than she tries to set on that too!!! [​IMG]

We have tried taking her out of the nest several times, and all she does is have some food and water than goes back to the nest.

Any suggestions??

2. madgoosefarm

madgoosefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    The best thing I've found is to separate her and put her in a cage if you've got one for several days until the craving passes. Good luck![​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never succeeded in breaking a Silkie of broodiness, so I usually just give them some fertile eggs to hatch. They're great moms.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by