Need help with determining that is causing this - can I help her?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karenhen, Mar 27, 2016.

1. karenhen

karenhen New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    We were on vacation last week with a house sitter. She texted me that my 2 year old hen was limping, then another text that she was getting worse. My neighbor came over to check her out but could not find anything. We arrived home and saw that she cannot stand, She is alert. We have isolated her, have given her food and water. The other 5 hens seem healthy, but worried. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You will likely get better response on the Emergency and Illness thread.

A lot of things could be going on from injury to illness...we would need more info and some photos if possible.

Things to check would be...is she eating/drinking (you've offered...is she actually eating/drinking)? Does her poo look normal? Are there any other symptoms such as runny nose, rattling, nicking, sneezing?

It could be vitamin deficiency to injury to coccidiosis dehydration to marek's.

More info and assessment would be necessary.

I'll link the appropriate thread below.

Good luck with her and figuring out what is going on. Hopefully it isn't too serious, but any time a hen limps, then stops walking well but remains bright and alert Marek's leaps to the forefront in my mind.

LofMc

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My mind always leaps to Marek's as well when I hear those symptoms. Hope she has a good outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by