Need help with duck incubation!

FuzzyCritters

Crowing
Mar 13, 2020
Kitsap county, WA
My duck went broody, and some of her ducklings hatched a couple days ago. I candled the remaining eggs, and three of them are hatching, but the last one is far behind in development. I'm guessing the hen laid it halfway through incubation. I took it out and put it in an incubator, but I've never hatched ducks before (just chickens).
How old do think it is? From looking at a candling chart, I'd guess it's at day 15-17, but a second opinion would be appreciated.
Duck Egg Candling 1.jpeg

Is it's air cell the right size?
Duck Egg Air Cell 2.jpeg
What's the ideal humidity for ducks? What about during lockdown?
Should I mist the duck egg daily?
Anything else I should know? All advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• Duck Egg Candling 2.jpeg
    Duck Egg Candling 2.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 5
  • Duck Egg Air Cell 1.jpeg
    Duck Egg Air Cell 1.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm guessing that it's 14-18 days old. I usually incubate my duck eggs at 45%-50% humidity. And I would lockdown it when it'll internally pip.
Thank you! Humidity is at 45% right now, I will just leave it be.
Do I need to raise humidity for lockdown like with chickens? If I do need to, should I only start raising humidity when the duckling internally pips, or do I raise it three days before hatching day?

I don't have any chicken eggs in the incubator right now. I guess I worded what I was trying to say wrong! What I meant was "Does the humidity need to be raised during lockdown for ducklings, like how the humidity needs to raised during lockdown for chickens?". Sorry for the confusion!
Oh, it's completely fine. Yes, I do it the same way as with the chickens.

Should I be misting the duck egg with water? I've read that I should, to replicate a mother duck incubating the eggs, but I've also read that there is no point and misting the eggs wont change the hatch rate. I'd rather not if I don't have to, because the extra water will make the humidity in my small incubator too high.

Should I be misting the duck egg with water? I've read that I should, to replicate a mother duck incubating the eggs, but I've also read that there is no point and misting the eggs wont change the hatch rate. I'd rather not if I don't have to, because the extra water will make the humidity in my small incubator too high.
If you want, you could, if not, it's ok. 😄 I you'll mist, the humidity won't be high for very long.

Back
Top Bottom