Need help with gender before buying please!

jbowyer01

Just Me!
14 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
Hello all! I am thinking of purchasing a couple of silkies. The individual that has them for sale was kind enough to send me pictures of the birds before I drive for over an hour to come and get them. I was wondering if you could look at the pics and tell me what you think. Now understand I am really excited to get silkies but I need to know that these are all hens. (I hope she doesnt mind that I'm posting her pics.) I'd really like your opinions on them.
15098_hen_3.jpg

15098_hen_2.jpg

15098_hen_1.jpg

I think one and three are roosters. Maybe two is a hen. Wait for the Cajun Pullet silkie guy to sign in. He is usually right. I am going by all the other photos and posta I have read and what my silkies turned out to be. They say pointy spiky head feathers are roos and round puffy pom pom tops are girls. Also the hind quarter ( if you will shape of the boys and girls are different.
We ended up with two roos and one hen. The one roo just started crowing. It is not as loud as the traditional rooster sound. They were born the first week of August. I have them mixed with a Buff Orp girl and a black Austroop girl. The five of them get along well.
Good luck. I hope the person you are buying from does not get angry at this.
H

The individual has been very nice so I dont think there will be a problem. You should see her/his roos they are beautiful. I explained to the individual that I couldnt have roos at this time so I'm only looking for hens and didnt want to waste thier time if they turn out to be all roos. Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think all 3 are roos. Number 1 and 2 appear to have large combs already. Number 3's tail does not appear to be a nice round smooth poof. In the photo, it looks like there are longer feathers coming out of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom