Need help with ideas for softfit and rafter ventilation

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
DH wants to put hardware wire over the ends of the rafters and then trim out the base at the top of the T111 siding. Will this cause problems for us during winter in Virginia? What do you suggest we do? I was thinking we should build a softfit/facia with little vents that go in the softfit. But I kind of like his suggestion - I'm just concerned it will be too drafty and cold in there during the winter.

Here's a pic of the rafter situation
97463_dcp_4289.jpg

Here's a pic of the coop so far
97463_dcp_4283.jpg

Thanks!
Bobbie

I would go with some type of sofit vent, make sure you vent both the bottom and the top, this will allow the warm moist air to escape, keep the roof cool, and help keep any snow stay on the roof as an insulator.

I put a board across the opening with a 2 inch hole drilled in it. The hole was covered with 1/4 hardware cloth. That allow the hot air to be drawn from the outside up the rafter, across the insulation and out the ridge vent.

My house is done the same way. If I didn't explain that right I can take a picture for ya.

If it was me, I would finish the inside ceiling and use that space for insulation. Insulation works good to keep heat out in the summer. My coop is in direct sunlight all day and stayed around 10 degrees cooler than outside this past week when it was almost 100 degrees outside.

Quote:
Thanks - your coop is like what I was thinking of doing with soffit & venting. Didn't think about the winter storm directions, but I guess it will work out that we have the coop with the high roof on the east and low roof on the west. I did it not because of any forethought but just because I wanted to be able to see the chickens from the house as they came & went through the door.

smile.png
I'll get one as soon as it gets light. Suns not up yet.

I'm still trying to get the picture to post. I'll keep trying.

97568_dscf0027.jpg

My what I've been through to get this on here.

pt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom