Need help with incubator

chickitychicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Hi everyone, I am setting up an incubator. This is an old, broken incubator that use to have a heater and thermostat, but not any more. I suspended a 60w bulb off the top, about 5 inches above the eggs. The bulb is controlled by a digital temp controller and maintaining 100F. I also added a fan that is powered through my cellphone charger. The eggs will be in this red basket, and under the basket is a plate with water for humidity. I am aiming for 55% humidity. My thermostat and this thermometer never have the same reading, though. I don't really know which one to trust. Any suggestions, thoughts?
Will this kind of set up work? Thank you.

Yes it can work. I have used light bulbs as heat sources in the past. There are several draw backs, tho. If moisture condenses inside the top and drops down on the bulb, there is a possibility of the bulb exploding. You will also have to be very vigilant in checking the bulb in case it burns out. Also, you will need to build something to keep newly hatched chicks from getting too close or touching the bulb.

Be careful with the fan. Fan motors put out a lot of heat. It might be ok for now, but a few days before the eggs hatch, the eggs start creating heat. So you might see a spike in temp during lockdown.

A good and fairly inexpensive alternative would be Flexwatt Heat Tape. You can find it at most online reptile supply sites. Several different widths from 3 to 11 inches are available. I suggest using a width that is closest to the width of the inside top of your incubator.

Thank you.
Wow, heat tape, just looked it up. It's a cool thing. Anybody else here using it for an incubator?
My incubator has walls that are kind of chalky and are porous, and I think they would absorb moisture, so no need to worry about explosions. Will keep an extra lightbulb handy in case this one burns.
Questions:
1. Can a day old quail jump up 5 inches? I have never seen quail in my life. I don't know what to expect.
2. So, during lockdown, if temp goes up, should I regulate it and adjust the thermostat, or what? What's the highest acceptable temp during lockdown?
3. I am getting 59% humidity. Is this too high to start with?
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom