need help with louvered ventilation in high area, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vickibiro, Jul 16, 2010.

1. vickibiro

vickibiro Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Okay check out the picture, see the three rectangular areas in the octagon on top of the building? Those are areas my husband had designed some windows for heat ventilation. I cannot decipher his drawings and he is no longer on this earth to help me. I really need to get the hot air out of the top of this building. Any products come to mind that can be opened and shut from the ground? I have googled to no avail. There has to be something out there I can install there to solve this ventilation problem. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would not be concerned with getting vents that can be closed. As long as they are located high enough that the birds will not be sitting in a draft they will be fine. Also I have found that ammonia fumes tend to build up if the coop isn't vented in the winter as well. Heat isn't the only reason to vent. I have been in the construction industry since 1964 so I possibly may be able to offer some advice. You have my cell # so don't hestitate to call. Your coop is absolutely beautiful. You are to be commended for following on with your husbands project.

3. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Awww... this kinda made me want to cry! I'm not sure about the open and closing from the ground thing but I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell a lot of different types of vents and Im sure there must be a way to open and close them from below. If worse comes to worse get some of the $1.78 vent covers (also @ Lowes) they are like 8" x 12" and come with a kind of thin metal mesh backing, drill a series of 1/2 holes and cover them with the vent cover. I recently installed 3 in my very hot and stuffy coop... two at the roof peaks on either end and one on the bottom near the floor. They have made a world of difference! They say you can never have enough ventillation just no drafts in cold weather. I plan to install a few more. If it gets to be to much in the winter I will cover a few up. Or maybe your set-up could handle a cupola type vent?

Good Luck!!!!!

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    From what I can see of the photo there might have to be some removal of material. Ridge Vent would be Ideal because of the pitch of the gable roof. But that is super labor intensive. Removing The cap and the top courses of shingles on bothsides, then cutting the plywood back on either side of the ridge, really not for novices. Or have louvres installed in the gable ends. Hope you have a friend or family in the Business. I've seen alterations that were real hatchet jobs and you coop is too nice to be botched up. Good Luck. You can get good direction talking to Lowes and Home Depot, but can also get bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by