Need Help with Making a Decision About Career & College

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PluckyClucker99, Aug 30, 2014.

1. PluckyClucker99

PluckyClucker99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I need help making a decision about my career and what college I would like to attend when I grow up...

I would like to be a neurosurgeon, who first gets her bachelor's in neurobiology at UW-Madison, then continuing on to Stanford Med School.

My second job choice would be going into law, first becoming the mayor of my hometown, then Governor of Wisconsin, then work my way up to President, if at all possible. My dream is to become the first woman president. I know that is wishful thinking, but I am determined. (Hilary Clinton may beat me to it, though). If I go this path, I would like to attend Harvard Business school.

I would still like to own and raise chickens, horses and have about 3 kids, so which job would be more low-stress and the least time-consuming? I understand that they both are, very much, but which is less?

I love them both so much, but I just can't make a decison. I don't have to decide right now, I have a some years until I go to high school.

And honestly, do you think I could do it? Let's see... I do cross country, have started and held high leadership roles on two seperate Student Councils, have an average 4.33 GPA (non-weighted), never gotten below a B+ on my report card, etc. I have always loved helping people, and plan on starting to volunteer at our local humane society, hospital, and food pantry. I also play the clarinet and french horn. What do you think? Am I taking it too fast?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. PluckyClucker99

PluckyClucker99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for your opinion. I have done research on becoming a neurosurgeon, and from what I have read, it takes about 16 years to complete school and get my medical license. I am glad I do not have to decide today. :)

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I applaud you for doing well in school and participating in so many activities. I definitely recommend keeping that up, as it helps make people into better people, and can help give you a direction in life.

I think it is good to have dreams and goals, but with those dreams and goals, one needs to be aware of reality. It also helps to take things one step at a time. I wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember, but many times through my academic and work career, I was overwhelmed by the amount of work and number of years it would take to reach this goal. I changed my mind a few times, started on different paths, but ultimately came back around to veterinary medicine. I found that by taking things step by step, it was much more manageable. Now that I am in vet school, I can look back and see just how much work it took to get here. In a few years, when I graduate, I will once again look back and be amazed by how much I had to do and how much hard work I had to put in. But right now, I'm just focusing on getting through this semester, then the year, then the next year. It's not quite as overwhelming that way.

I can guarantee you will change your path at least once during your academic career, but probably more than that. You may ultimately return to your original path, but I think it is best to keep an open mind and to get as much experience in your interests as possible. That way you can see if you still have an interest without making too big of a commitment.

Don't get hung up on school names either. It is always best to go to more affordable schools, especially for undergrad. I speak from experience when I say I went to a small state school and made the most of it. I was still able to get into the number 1 vet school in the country despite that. However, I was willing to go to any vet school that would accept me. I imagine it would be the same with human medicine and law as well. Unfortunately, due to the competitive nature of those fields, you don't get much of a choice of where you actually go. however, you can help the case by making your resume look as impressive as possible, and keeping up a good GPA.

5. Drivernumber22

Drivernumber22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Dawsonville, Georgia
    Thing about college is that you have awhile to get threw all the core classes to think about what you really want to do and listen to your heart. Go for it with an open mind!

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe that sums it up best, as young children we all 'dream' of the stars and fantasize out our careers, but very few actually pursue those childhood dreams and careers as we mature into adults, if for nothing else then the mere fact that life happens and that changes dreams, desires and adds responsibility... I'm not saying some don't pursue childhood dreams, but the reality is very few do in the end... The fact that you tossed up about a dozen career ambitions already shows the fluidity of choice and that will only become more fluid with age and experience...

Sit back and enjoy childhood, the responsibilities and stresses the come with age will leave you wishing for the carefree childhood days that seemed to last forever...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by