Need help with my rooster

Morrow1411

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
Tampa Florida
I have a large Red Sexlink rooster, that I hatched out in Feb. 2012. Lately he has had a bad attitude. Sometimes he don't pay me any attention when I'm near him, and sometimes he comes to me looking for a treat. But sometimes he attacks me for no reason at all. I had to trim his spurs, due to him attacking me! I'm talking about him going nuts, jumping, and flapping his wings, pecking, and spurring me! He's even got as far up as my neck! This happens about once a week, and happens without warning. Any suggestions on how to break him?

My rooster tried that one day, rushing up to me flapping. I just keep walking until he was trapped in a corner of the fence and stood there.

After a couple of minutes, I walked away. It never happened again. Size matters.

On the other hand, the grandsons run away from the rooster. He has great fun chasing the boys, although he gets tired faster than the boys do. I believe the boys do this because they think that it is fun.

The rooster tried chasing the small dog. The small dog stays in the house now when the chickens are out. He is quite leery around the rooster, when he encounter him.

It seems to me that being unable to break the matter of dominance with the rooster would indicate time for freezer camp.

Chris

I have a large Red Sexlink rooster, that I hatched out in Feb. 2012. Lately he has had a bad attitude. Sometimes he don't pay me any attention when I'm near him, and sometimes he comes to me looking for a treat. But sometimes he attacks me for no reason at all. I had to trim his spurs, due to him attacking me! I'm talking about him going nuts, jumping, and flapping his wings, pecking, and spurring me! He's even got as far up as my neck! This happens about once a week, and happens without warning. Any suggestions on how to break him?
He is at that age where his hormones are taking over and he is going to challenge you. They usually settle down around a year or so old but in the meantime, if you are wanting to keep him, you will need to discourage this behaviour. When my roo was going through that stage I carried a barn rake to keep him away from me and when he would challenge me I went after him and ran him off. When I go out to the barn I move him out of my space. When he was being especially challenging to me I'd separate him and run him off into the pasture away from his hens. I'd keep him away for a few minutes while I stayed with the girls, he returned when I let him. The whole point is to get it through their little heads that you are at the top of the totem pole, NOT them. After he was about a year old he really started to settle down. The only reason I went to this effort with him was also because he was always very good to his hens. He is now a very decent bird and respects my space, we get along just fine and I have a good roo who watches out for his hens. For me it was worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom