NEED HELP WITH MY SILKY CHICK BULLY

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newfrom NJ, Apr 10, 2012.

1. newfrom NJ

newfrom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    i have 3 seven week old chicks ( 2 silkies and 1 d'uccle ) The one black silkie is becoming increasingly aggressive and dominant with the other two. It seems to especially pick on the little white silkie. Black silkie chases them around, jumps on them, sometimes really tussels around with them for a few seconds before he leaves them alone. HOWEVER...there are no missing feathers, no blood, no bald spots...Im not sure what to do. I dont know if the breeder will take Black silkie back or if I should give it away? It just seems a little extreme given the frequency and the duration of the tussels. the others dont even try to fight back.... ...

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't think you need to give it away with little tussels like that. If the silkie isn't pulling their fuzz out or hurting them, it's pretty normal chick behavior.

They often "play fight" and chest bump eachother and run around, trying to be the dominant leader. Often, one will pounce on the other, making it squeak loudly and then run away in an instant. It's how they play as they grow.

Now, if the chick would draw blood or pull out the other's feathers, I would definitely re-home it. But what you describe is pretty normal.

Enjoy those chicks!
    Sharon

3. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    I agree with chicmom. I have 5 seven week old SIlkies in their "kindergarden brooder" (I have pre-school, kindergarden, and k-1) and there are constantly scuffling. Lots of chirping and feathers flying. Originally I had 6 Silkies of the same age and one in particular was a bully from birth. Always jumping on the others, chest bumping, and just being an overall trouble maker. So I gave him away to a friend who had a ton of chicks. Initially I even felt guilty about giving him away to a friend because he was such a brat (I assumed he was a he, but who knows) but when I checked in on him a few weeks later she responded that he was totally mellow and got along great with all the other chicks. I think he wasn't the dominant one in her new flock!

4. newfrom NJ

newfrom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    thanks for the replies. ill keep a close eye on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by