1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with my White Crested Black Polish chicks!! PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by earnhardtlvr, Aug 24, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have 3 WCBP. All are around 18 to 19 weeks old. I don't have pics of them yet to show what I am asking about, but can get some pics tomorrow if I need to. I am trying to figure out gender. 2 of them have big full head dresses and are very rounded and smooth and pretty. The other one's wig is very small, about only half the size of the other. We were thinking he is a boy? But now, my 2 that have the pretty wigs are concerning me because 1 has pretty big wattles & the other ones is just started to come in. The one we think is a boy has no wattles at all yet. Can anyone help me??

Here r the 2 that have the full & pretty wigs! U can't see in the pic, but 1 has pretty big wattles and the other one's just starting to come in.

[​IMG]

I don't have a current pic of the other 1 that doesn't have a nice full wig or wattles.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    The crest feathers of cockerels are very thin and pointy, while the ends of crest feathers of pullets are rounded. If there are big wattles, it is likely a cockerel.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    According to that picture, i vote male on left and female on right. Polish are notoriously difficult to sex and at less that 4 months old, it may be a bit early to tell. Also, the picture doesn't display side stance or face/wattle.

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I will go take good pics tomorrow and put them on here. Thanks for responding so far! [​IMG]

5. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    My boys have "hair" that stands up whereas the girls "hair" is more "combed back". Also, yes the boys have bigger wattles.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    L:eek:oks like 2 pullets to me.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:X2

8. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    These 2 are pullets from their topknots. I have about 70 polish of 6 varieties so I have finally gotten used to calling them. The females will vary on wattle size some but the topknot is the most reliable indicator. The female has a nice full, rounded one. The males tend to have a spikier look. The long feathers are shaped like hackle feathers.

Mark

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see 2 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by